3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Food > Food Talk And Fabulous Finds

Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Crampy stomach after eating garden veggies

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2010, 02:52 PM   #1
I'm Defying Gravity!
 
Serval87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 881

S/C/G: 227/220/199

Height: 4'9

Default Crampy stomach after eating garden veggies

I think it may have been the pesticides that my dad used a few weeks ago, though we had a pretty good bit of rain around then. But I've been eating fresh tomatoes, green bell peppers, and banana peppers with my dinner every night and each night I get a terrible stomach ache. Is there any way I could wash more of the pesticide away? My mom cleans the veggies, but maybe not good enough? I don't know.
__________________




http://www.untiedshoelacesofthemind....ue5/satine.php Please rate and review my story!

Calorie Counting,
Walking,
Pilates/other exercise DVDs/kinect/wii games
Serval87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 03:20 PM   #2
Peace. Love. Balance
 
bananapancakes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Hayes, Virginia
Posts: 580

S/C/G: 199/128/125 (new goal of 115)

Height: 5'3

Default

Eeek! You should convince your Dad to start using an all natural pesticide, I've attached a link to one as an example, but there are many out there. They are better for you and the environment.

http://planetgreen.discovery.com/foo...de-garlic.html
__________________
bananapancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 03:32 PM   #3
Happy Chick
 
Leenie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Northern New Jersey
Posts: 12,505

Height: 5' 10"

Default

Could be an over load of fiber too ... I know many folks that have trouble with peppers.

Leenie
__________________
~ WORRY LOOKS AROUND, SORRY LOOKS BACK, FAITH LOOKS UP ~

Courage doesn't always roar.
Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,
"I will try again tomorrow."
.
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 03:35 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
kaplods's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Wausau, WI
Posts: 13,282

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Default

I don't think pesticides are the problem. Home gardening pesticide levels (if he's using them as directed) tend to be much lower than commercially raised vegetables.

More likely, I'd suspect that you'r eating more veggies than you're used to, or (possible, but less likely) that you're sensitive to nightshade vegetables (all of the veggies you listed are nightshade veggies).

The most likely explanation is that you've increased your intake of fruit and vegetables. Increasing fruit and veggie intake, even if only by a small amount, can cause gas and cramping and even diarrhea until you get used to the higher intake. The fiber, water, and natural sugar content of fruits and vegetables can contribute to digestive problem symptoms (pain and/or having to go to the bathroom a lot).

Every summer I get these same symptoms (at the beginning of the season). This happens even if I eat only organically grown fruits and vegetables, so I know it isn't because of pesticides.

Any increase in the number of servings of fruits and vegetables can cause intestinal problems. It can be as mild as having to go to the bathroom more often, to severe cramping and diarrhea.

For example, it's currently Ranier cherry season. I LOVE Ranier cherries (big yellow and red cherries). They're only available for about three weeks every year (sometimes a little longer if it's a good year), and they're SO good (so sweet, and they "pop" when you bite into them). Every year I end up eating far more cherries than I should, and end up getting sick (hubby calls it "cherry flu").

Also, some people are sensitive to nightshade foods (potatoes, tomatoes, tomatillos, eggplant, bell peppers and other sweet and hot peppers).

There's an alkaline substance in the food that animals and humans can be sensitive to (digestive issues or joint pain are the primary symptoms that are reported). Cooking reduces the alkalinity, so some people can eat these foods cooked, but react to them raw.

My husband for example cannot eat tomato, bell pepper or hot peppers raw. They have to be cooked nearly to mush or he will get sick. He gets such a terrible stomach ache that he will throw up. He might be sensitive to the other nightshade veggies too, but he either doesn't eat them or doesn't eat them raw (he doesn't like eggplant or tomatillo and potatoes you don't eat raw).

People once thought nightshade vegetables were toxic (and some people still argue that they can be, at least to some people).
__________________
My Etsy shop (currently closed for the summer)

http://www.dreamstormdesigns.etsy.com
etsy link by permission from 3fc! Want to add yours? Ask them!

Last edited by kaplods : 07-08-2010 at 03:40 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 03:45 PM   #5
I'm Defying Gravity!
 
Serval87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 881

S/C/G: 227/220/199

Height: 4'9

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
I don't think pesticides are the problem. Home gardening pesticide levels (if he's using them as directed) tend to be much lower than commercially raised vegetables.

More likely, I'd suspect that you'r eating more veggies than you're used to, or (possible, but less likely) that you're sensitive to nightshade vegetables (all of the veggies you listed are nightshade veggies).

The most likely explanation is that you've increased your intake of fruit and vegetables. Increasing fruit and veggie intake, even if only by a small amount, can cause gas and cramping and even diarrhea until you get used to the higher intake. The fiber, water, and natural sugar content of fruits and vegetables can contribute to digestive problem symptoms (pain and/or having to go to the bathroom a lot).

Every summer I get these same symptoms (at the beginning of the season). This happens even if I eat only organically grown fruits and vegetables, so I know it isn't because of pesticides.

Any increase in the number of servings of fruits and vegetables can cause intestinal problems. It can be as mild as having to go to the bathroom more often, to severe cramping and diarrhea.

For example, it's currently Ranier cherry season. I LOVE Ranier cherries (big yellow and red cherries). They're only available for about three weeks every year (sometimes a little longer if it's a good year), and they're SO good (so sweet, and they "pop" when you bite into them). Every year I end up eating far more cherries than I should, and end up getting sick (hubby calls it "cherry flu").

Also, some people are sensitive to nightshade foods (potatoes, tomatoes, tomatillos, eggplant, bell peppers and other sweet and hot peppers).

There's an alkaline substance in the food that animals and humans can be sensitive to (digestive issues or joint pain are the primary symptoms that are reported). Cooking reduces the alkalinity, so some people can eat these foods cooked, but react to them raw.

My husband for example cannot eat tomato, bell pepper or hot peppers raw. They have to be cooked nearly to mush or he will get sick. He gets such a terrible stomach ache that he will throw up. He might be sensitive to the other nightshade veggies too, but he either doesn't eat them or doesn't eat them raw (he doesn't like eggplant or tomatillo and potatoes you don't eat raw).

People once thought nightshade vegetables were toxic (and some people still argue that they can be, at least to some people).
That's a very interesting point. My grandmother was allergic to tomatoes, but I eat tomatoes nearly every day because I like them on sandwiches, though they're never this fresh. I have been eating these veggies raw, too. But my stomach will cramp up so badly. My parents have been having stomach issues with them as well, but not my husband. Yes, I have vastly increased my veggie intake here lately. Usually, I'd have one slice of tomato, some onion, and a couple lettuce leaves on a sandwich and that was about it.
__________________




http://www.untiedshoelacesofthemind....ue5/satine.php Please rate and review my story!

Calorie Counting,
Walking,
Pilates/other exercise DVDs/kinect/wii games
Serval87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 03:48 PM   #6
I'm Defying Gravity!
 
Serval87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 881

S/C/G: 227/220/199

Height: 4'9

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leenie View Post
Could be an over load of fiber too ... I know many folks that have trouble with peppers.

Leenie
Yep. I never thought about that.
__________________




http://www.untiedshoelacesofthemind....ue5/satine.php Please rate and review my story!

Calorie Counting,
Walking,
Pilates/other exercise DVDs/kinect/wii games
Serval87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 03:50 PM   #7
I'm Defying Gravity!
 
Serval87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 881

S/C/G: 227/220/199

Height: 4'9

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananapancakes View Post
Eeek! You should convince your Dad to start using an all natural pesticide, I've attached a link to one as an example, but there are many out there. They are better for you and the environment.

http://planetgreen.discovery.com/foo...de-garlic.html
Thank you. I'll take a look.
__________________




http://www.untiedshoelacesofthemind....ue5/satine.php Please rate and review my story!

Calorie Counting,
Walking,
Pilates/other exercise DVDs/kinect/wii games
Serval87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:32 PM.






Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2