Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 07-12-2010, 01:44 PM   #16  
Defying Gravity

S/C/G: 172/150

Height: 5'0

This is how I started my healthier eating out on June 30th, cutting out on soda and fast food, besides being more healthy, I seem also to have a few more pennies in my purse these days. So far so good for me, Day 12, no soda or McDonalds (wonder if they miss me at the drive thru).. Keep up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serval87 View Post
After reading a 'delightful' article about soda (someone posted it in a thread on here, it also had to do with fast food) my husband and I have finally decided to give it up. I've done it before, but have always came back. This time, I hope to do it completely.

There were two others things that caused us to come to this decision. One happened a month or two ago. We were sitting in my mom's truck, waiting for her to get done with her shopping, after just loading our groceries into the back. My husband and I like to watch people, and we saw these two women (a mother and a daughter) unloading not one, but two buggies completely filled with bottles of soda into their vehicle. That was all that was in there.

The other thing happened around last month, I think, and it was when we were inside Walmart, buying a couple gallons of distilled water. There was an old lady and a younger woman, and the younger woman was asking the older lady if she wanted to get a gallon of water. The old lady responded with something like this, "No, I still have the one, and it will last me."

So, Monday we went to town and bought a water filter. I think this will also help on our grocery bill, so I'm happy about that.

Has anyone else ever seen anything like what I mentioned that drove you to change something about yourself?
Losing It 2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 10:04 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 145/127/120

Height: 5'3

I feel like I'm addicted to the taste more so than the caffeine.. I associate memories with taste, and so many good memories sipping on an ice cold fountain cola.. But yeah, I've decided to give up soda too, it's such a great way to cut out unnecessary calories. I've been drinking sobe lifewaters which are really tasty with zero calories and natural flavor additives (fruit extracts I guess?) They have helped fill the void of sodas when I feel I need that substance...
blindcantaloup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 02:25 AM   #18  
banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackiedavis87 View Post
i haven't had a soda in a week...but thats not really my weakness. southern sweet tea on the other hand is the hardest thing i had to give up for my diet. but as long as i don't see it i'm usually ok. it;s weird for me with sodas. its like if i have 1 i have to have 10 but if i dont drink one i dont crave it
It's funny that you mention southern sweet tea. My mother makes a gallon EVERY day, and it is usually gone by the end or the middle of the next day. It's something I plan to give up soon, but at the moment we are having to eat at their house, so if I've already given up soda then I would pretty much have nothing else to drink lol. (Their water tastes like a swimming pool ... yeah, I know I'm still drinking it in the tea, but at least I can't taste the chlorine.)

Thanks for the advice and feedback, everyone! I won't know how much money I'm saving on drinks until we get our foodstamps back. Had a little problem, and now we have to reapply. Again. Oh well.

Last edited by 3FCer344892; 07-13-2010 at 02:30 AM.
3FCer344892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 06:58 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 307.2/249.4/150.0

Height: 5 feet 4

Just out of curiosity, when you say "soda" here, do you mean HFCS-sweetened, or diet soda? I haven't drunk much non-diet soda in years and have lately been cutting back on my diet soda consumption (I'll have one can a day of diet Vernors ginger ale and sometimes one can of Zero Coke, or diet Sierra Mist Cranberry Splash and pomegranate 7Up which are seasonal products) in favor of fruit-flavored sparkling water and, with lunch, ice tea (usually Lipton diet citrus or mixed berry green tea, and occasionally Arizona Arnold Palmer half-and-half)
ETA 07.14: or sometimes, when the pomegranate 7Up is out of season and I can't find the Vernors which can be a little elusive, I get cherry 7Up instead

Last edited by ANOther; 07-14-2010 at 08:39 PM.
ANOther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 02:41 AM   #20  
banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANOther View Post
Just out of curiosity, when you say "soda" here, do you mean HFCS-sweetened, or diet soda? I haven't drunk much non-diet soda in years and have lately been cutting back on my diet soda consumption (I'll have one can a day of diet Vernors ginger ale and sometimes one can of Zero Coke, or diet Sierra Mist Cranberry Splash and pomegranate 7Up which are seasonal products) in favor of fruit-flavored sparkling water and, with lunch, ice tea (usually Lipton diet citrus or mixed berry green tea, and occasionally Arizona Arnold Palmer half-and-half)
I actually had only been drinking diet soda for years (can't even remember when I turned from regular soda to diet soda ... hmmm).
3FCer344892 is offline   Reply With Quote