Food Ideas For Sick Friend

You're on Page 2 of 2
Go to
  • I'm so glad to hear that the swiss steak went over well with your fiance. How is his neighbor doing?
  • Ask him what he really likes. Maybe he would like cookies or fudge more then a pot roast. I would find out what he loves the best & make sure he gets his fill of that.
  • Your neighbor is very blessed to have such loving and helpful neighbors & friends.

In addition to cooking in the crockpot, canned meats are also tender and easy to chew. A quick & easy Baked Chicken & Dumplings recipe I use follows:

Melt 2 T. Butter in an 8X8" baking pan.
    Mix 1 c. self-rising flour with 1 c. buttermilk and pour over the butter.
    Put 1- 12 oz. can chicken in a large measuring cup & add enough chicken broth to make 1 1/2 to 2 cups, depending on how soupy you like your chicken & dumplings. Pour the chicken mixture over the batter & bake in an oven pre-heated to 350F. 30 to 40 mins. Just make sure the batter part is done.

It's actually just a modified recipe of that Easy Fruit Cobbler that's been floating around the Net for years.
  • You all are so very kind with your comments and suggestions! Hugs to all!!

Our friend is hanging in there. Last time I was out there I made stuffed peppers using peppers from their garden. Made salsa w/ the tomatoes from the garden, too. He likes to see his produce being used although he has been unable to get out into the garden this year....his son and my fiance have been doing the work for him. I am just praying that his green beans come in and I can cook him some. He planted them just because I made him fresh green beans and red potatoes last year; he wanted some with HIS homegrown beans. Hoping I get to do that.
  • Quote: Ask him what he really likes. Maybe he would like cookies or fudge more then a pot roast. I would find out what he loves the best & make sure he gets his fill of that.
    Yep, he's been getting the sweets, too! Made him my special homemade chocolate chip cookies a few weeks ago. Also made him a cherry cobbler/crisp a while back with the sour cherries from the trees in his yard.
  • I just wanted to update with the news that we lost our friend last night. He died in his sleep and is now at rest. He had not been able to eat lately. You all were so kind with your comments that I just wanted to let you know. The ideas were so helpful and I hope I brought him some comfort during his illness.

Rest in Peace, Don.
  • I'm so sad to hear this. May he be at peace.