Salsa- straight from my garden

• I have been making salsa with the bounty of our garden. I use 2-3 medium tomatoes, half an onion, small handful of cilantro, 3-4 banana wax peppers, as much garlic as you like and 1 tspoon of extra virgin olive oil and 1 tspoon vinegar. I just blend it in the blender. It is super tasty and hardly nothing to it. The evoo is where the calories come from and that's only if you eat it all by yourself! I like to dip slices of bell pepper. Tortilla chips are yummy too, but it is easy to over do it with those obviously - and I've done it. Anyway, the salsa is yum!
  • Sounds delicious! Growing up my father had a HUGE garden and each summer we would can jars of salsa (among other things).
  • Congrats on the garden bounty. Have you ever tried omitting the olive oil?- it may not really be adding much to the taste except calories. Also maybe if you used lime or lemon juice instead of vinegar it would add flavor. You are right though- 1tsp of olive oil is not going to break the calorie bank if it makes the taste good.
  • Salsa with garden grown vegetables sounds absolutely wonderful.

But I like my salsa without the oil and vinegar, although that sounds quite healthy. I like mine muy caliente, so I use jalapenos. And I add salt and fresh lime juice to cut the fire.

It's fun to hear about other people's salsa recipes. It's one the tastiest and most versatile of the veggie dishes.
  • I am not sure the olive oil adds flavor, but I use it anyway. LOL I do sometimes put fresh lemon in too. I do not like anything spicy or hot so unless I am making it for hubby I leave the peppers out.