3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Food Talk And Fabulous Finds (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds-17/)
-   -   Overcame bean phobia! And bean Q's! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds/205187-overcame-bean-phobia-bean-qs.html)

Raichu 06-21-2010 12:49 PM

Overcame bean phobia! And bean Q's!

I used to have this HORRIBLE phobia of beans... No idea why -- they're so good for you!

When I saw the scale didn't budge this week I decided to try replacing my carb-filled lunch with 1 cup brown/wild rice mix and 2/3 cup beans (it's a mix of black and the fleshtone kind) and fresh salsa mixed. This is the only way I've been able to eat beans and I'm happily munching them right now! My only question: is there any way I can guesstimate the amount of calories in this? I know the rice is 230. What about a mix of canned, rinsed beans and fresh salsa?

What ways do you like to eat beans? I feel like a whole new world has opened up to me! And is it true that combining them with a whole grain turns them into a "complete" protein?

Yay beans!!

GradPhase 06-21-2010 04:18 PM

Ohhhh how I wish I was as optimistic about beans! Blegh!

Stella4 06-24-2010 05:45 PM

I too have this fear of beans!

I purchased some at the store the other day with good intentions of incorporating them into my diet, but they are still sitting in my cupboard unopened.

Come on bean-eaters, us bean-a-phobes need tips!

nelie 06-24-2010 05:55 PM

Uhh... beans are delicious!!

Garbanzos and kidney beans are easy to add to salads. Try Goya brand beans. (Also be aware that if you buy a non spanish brand of kidney beans, they often contain sugar)

I really like black eyed peas as they don't need to be soaked when cooked from dried.

One thing you can do is sautee some garlic, onions and jalapeno and then rinse your canned beans and add them in until they are warm, you may need to add a little water too. Serve over rice or in a corn tortilla with lettuce and tomato or serve over some sauteed or steamed greens.

Thighs Be Gone 06-24-2010 06:05 PM

I love making homemade hummus. Don't feel compelled to use ONLY chickpeas--other beans and peas can be substituted too..the other night I made a hummus from fresh garlic, onions, red kidney beans and a little bit of strawberry jam...

I also LOVE bean patties...again, you can use any sort of bean you want...put it in the food processor and add whatever it is you like...once it's whirled up with your seasonings you lightly coat with a bit of whole wheat flour and cook it with non-stick spray...also, you can freeze them between wax paper for about an hour and put them onto the grill...

YAY for beans!

Thighs Be Gone 06-24-2010 06:09 PM

Oh on the calorie thing..you need to check the calorie counts on the packaging..since you used the rice mix as opposed to rice I am unsure how many caloriest it is..same goes for the mixed beans...add all your calories together and then try to measure it cup by cup to make the best guess

chances are there aren't many calories in the salsa ...usually around 10 calories a Tbs. or so..

tommy 06-24-2010 06:30 PM

Just adding that I never pre soak dried beans except garbanzos. Pintos take about 2 hours and are creamy as delicious. I like to use the potato masher to crush maybe half of them so I have a nice creamy bean puree with some whole beans in it. Just water, salt, and maybe a few sprigs of oregano near the end. I like to taste the earthiness of the beans. They freeze well.

Jennifer 3FC 06-25-2010 01:06 PM

Pre-soaking isn't always necessary, but it does remove gas if you presoak and then discard the water. Anything helps when eating lots of beans. :)

Calories - 2/3 cup of cooked black beans is about 150 calories. A mix of the two would be real close.

Mikkijoe 06-25-2010 06:16 PM

Couple tips, Rinsing canned beans removes 30% of the sodium! And also removes the slimmey-ish water they are in.....now that just made you want to go open a can huh?

We sautee onions, garlic, mushrooms, in olive oil. Add a can of rinsed beans, usually large white beans, sometime kidney, and several handfuls of fresh baby spinach........Before doing that start some whole wheat pasta, cook till almost done, add a ladel of pasta sauce to your pan you just put the spinach in, add sea salt and pepper, add your almost cooked, drained pasta and simmer just a couple minutes, we top it with grated parmesean, YUM quick, lean, healthy!