Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 06-17-2010, 11:25 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 191/Ticker/140

Height: 5'3" Age 51

Default Help Modify Roll Recipe

I posted this in the cooking tips and questions area and didn't get any responses. Thought it might be hidden away there, so I am posting it here. Any input appreciated!!
I tried a spoon bread roll recipe this weekend. I found it in a magazine and since it contained chives, and I have some growing, I thought it would be a good way to use them.

THIS IS NOT A LOW CAL RECIPE! It is a savory herb roll and tasted very good.

[INTERESTING NOTE HERE: The recipe in the magazine states use 1 (1 1/4 oz.) envelope dry yeast. I'm guessing that is a typo now... When I looked up the recipe to post here, the link states 1 (1/4 oz.) envelope. I didn't have 1 1/4 oz. so used 3 (1/4 oz.) envelopes, thinking it would be enough. Do you think this is why mine turned out a bit heavy?]

I would probably use less chives next time as they tasted a little too oniony for me. It was a good way to get a home made taste (yeasty, etc.) without kneading, etc.

I was thinking they might be good with rosemary or other flavors. Especially was thinking of making a sweeter version of them.....maybe cinammon and nuts....or something else in a sweet flavor.

Here is the original recipe and if anyone can shed light on how to vary the flavors, it would be greatly appreciated.

Fresh Herb Spoon Rolls

Prep Time: 20 minutes
Other: 25 minutes
Yield: Makes 2 dozen

Ingredients
1 (1/4-oz.) envelope active dry yeast
2 cups warm water (110°)
4 cups self-rising flour
3/4 cup melted butter
3/4 cup chopped fresh chives
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/4 cup sugar
1 large egg, lightly beaten

Preparation
1. Preheat oven to 400°. Combine yeast and 2 cups warm water in a large bowl; let stand 5 minutes. Stir in flour and remaining ingredients. Spoon batter into 2 lightly greased 12-cup muffin pans, filling three-fourths full.

2. Bake at 400° for 20 to 22 minutes or until golden brown.

http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/re...e_id=19 90032

Last edited by AnnieDrews; 06-17-2010 at 11:28 AM.
AnnieDrews is offline   Reply With Quote