Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 05-20-2010, 12:33 PM   #1  
One Pound at a Time

S/C/G: 190/149/150

Height: 5'6"

Default Melting Veggie Shreds?

I buy the Veggie Shreds mozzarella for making mini pizzas. I used the slices for sandwiches and omelettes, and they seem to melt fine. However I cannot get the shredded stuff to melt when I make pizzas. They just turn brown. I recently went to a friend's house and she made pizzas with the same stuff, hers melted wonderfully. I usually cook my pizzas on 400, she did hers on 450. I tried mine again on 450 and it just turned more brown and burnt the crust. Does anyone use this stuff and get it to melt successfully? If so, at what temp?
OnceUponADrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 07:55 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 265/sig/130

Height: 5'3.5"

Have you tried finishing it in the microwave for a few seconds to melt the cheese? Or maybe melt it in the microwave first then toast it in the oven? I haven't heard of this type of cheese, so don't blame me if it doesn't work, ;-)lol!
tigerente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 12:21 PM   #3  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Did she put the cheese on top, or did she have other toppings on top of the cheese? Why dont you ask your friend how she got it to work. I used them for awhile and also remember the slices melting better than the shreds but I dont know if I ever solved it.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 03:21 PM   #4  
One Pound at a Time

S/C/G: 190/149/150

Height: 5'6"

She had the cheese on top, I did mine the same way. She didn't seem to have any special way she did it. I'm wondering if it's just a difference in our ovens. I'm going to try arranging the shreds flat next to each other in a single layer, maybe that will help. If not, I'll have to try the microwave. I also emailed the company to ask if they have an ideal temp at which it melts, but who knows if they'll even get back to me.
OnceUponADrive is offline   Reply With Quote