3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Food Talk And Fabulous Finds (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds-17/)
-   -   Fresh blueberries? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds/202194-fresh-blueberries.html)

MindiV 05-18-2010 02:39 PM

Fresh blueberries?

Finally found some affordable fresh blueberries and bought some...day three of blueberry consumption coming up and I'm nearly blueberrie-d out! How long will they keep?

Meg 05-18-2010 02:44 PM

Fresh blueberries freeze beautifully. :)

MindiV 05-18-2010 02:47 PM

Hmmm....so they'll defrost for cereal ok later on?

Meg 05-18-2010 02:49 PM

I've never used frozen blueberries in cereal but I put them in yogurt, cottage cheese, and protein shakes all the time. Maybe someone else has used them in cereal?

MindiV 05-18-2010 02:50 PM

The first day I ate some Fiber One cereal with blueberries AND banana. LOVED it. Also used it in some oatmeal and Cream of Wheat so far....but I'm about sick of 'em for now. I'll freeze them and use more in a few days if they defrost ok...

AnnieDrews 05-18-2010 03:02 PM

I'm not sure how they will defrost into cold cereal, but they should do great in hot cereal. I use frozen berries/cherries daily in my oatmeal. I make my oatmeal once a week, nuke it for 1 min. 30 sec., stir and add frozen fruit, then nuke for 30-40 more secs. Yum!

Tomato 05-18-2010 03:06 PM

I love blueberries and I eat them almost daily. I don't freeze them (they disappear quickly enough without a chance of being frozen) but a friend of mine buys those huge bags of frozen berries at Costco and he says they take out each night a portion to eat the next morning with their cereal. I imagine they defrost them in the fridge. I would probably use them still frozen on my cereal.

Fresh blueberries will keep for a week in the fridge - they may shrivel slightly but normally, they are still ok after a week in my fridge (in the miraculous event that I haven't eaten them before the week was over). I think I am a blueberry freak. Last night, I bought several pints of them.

Meg 05-18-2010 03:10 PM

You're not a Tomato, you're a Blueberry! :lol3:

grrlscout 05-18-2010 03:20 PM

The trick to freezing blueberries (and any berry, really) is to spread them evenly on a cookie sheet, lined with parchment or wax paper, and put the pan in the freezer. When they're solid, you can bag them up.

Otherwise, you get a big messy clump, and the berries get damaged when you try to break it apart.

MindiV 05-18-2010 03:45 PM

Thanks for the tip, grrlscout!

I'm probably gonna freeze my berries tonight. When I eat cereal for breakfast here at work, I'll generally package it all up the night before and put my milk in a little container. I'll toss some frozen blueberries in the milk overnight and it should be all ready by morning!

effie12 05-18-2010 04:00 PM

I eat frozen blueberries as a snack or for desert all the time. They are absolutely delicious. I've defrosted them as well by setting them on the counter overnight or for a few hours, just drain them and use them how you will. All these posts about blueberries have really got me craving some, though... :)

greenfishgirl 05-18-2010 04:04 PM

I freeze blueberries all the time without laying them out - they don't stick together. Just make sure they aren't super wet from washing them and shake the bag a couple times over the first couple hours it is in the freezer. This way they won't stick and you won't have to spend all that time laying them out in a single layer and then bagging them up.

JulieJ08 05-18-2010 09:17 PM

I add frozen ones to granola, but they were the wild ones, so small and probably thaw faster. They thaw pretty quick in the milk.