Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 03-22-2010, 10:28 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 280/255/Healthy, Happy, Strong

Height: 5'7"

Default Good food scale?

I've been doing a lot of measuring, counting, and eyeballing to keep track of what I'm eating but I think it is time for me to buy a food scale.

Does anyone have any specific suggestions?

Are there special features on your food scale that you find really helpful?

Thanks in advance, and I'm sorry if this was talked about before recently!
Renwomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 10:37 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 218/207/155

Hi -

I got this one from target last year and so far so good (for the price!).

http://www.target.com/Primo-Digital-..._rd_s=bottom-4

There are others that can determine calories and such based the food that you pick in the menu, but I decided all I needed was weight.
mammasita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 11:39 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 275/222/140

Height: 5'6"

I would say as long as you get a scale that will tare and can toggle between grams and ounces, you will be set. The scale I have is a Kitrics Nutrition Label Scale, which can tell you how many calories, fat, fiber, etc. are in the weighed portion, but I never use this feature.
utgirl09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 12:02 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 191/Ticker/140

Height: 5'3" Age 51

Mammasita-That looks like a good scale for a good price (the one from Target). I had looked at Wal Mart, and the one I really thought looked the best was around $30-$40 dollars. I thought that was way too much. Not sure I would get my money's worth. I may look at Target, I just assumed Wal Mart would be cheaper.
AnnieDrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 12:19 PM   #5  
it's always something

I use the same Escali scale mamasita recommends. I've checked it and it is just as accurate, gram for gram, as the professional scales we use at work.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 12:27 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 216/212.6/160

Height: 5'6"

I have the biggest loser scale that I purchased at Rite Aid. It was only 20 dollars and it weighs grams and ounces. Its where the dieting pills are. I have really loved this scale, use it everyday.
KyAngel1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 03:03 AM   #7  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

I really like the OXO Good Grips digital scale. I picked mine up at Bed, Bath & Beyond. Here's what a like about it:
  • It has an off switch. My first food scale did not (it just turned off automatically after 3 minutes or so) and the batteries went dead pretty quick. Battery life is much longer with this model.
  • Weighs in grams or oz/lbs--this is critical.
  • Very easy to clean. The display just wipes off, no cracks or crevasses for food to get stuck in. And the platform that the bowl sits on can be removed for cleaning.
  • The display pulls out from the base, making it a lot easier to read when I have large plates or bowls on the platform.
  • Nice wide platform for bowls, etc. to sit on. I never have problems with stuff tipping over.
  • It has a tare function, but this is pretty standard, I've never seen a digital scale that doesn't have one.
  • Very sensitive, even at very low weights. My last scale (a Salter), had a hard time measuring amounts less than 10g. It seems trivial, but when you are trying to measure out half a tbsp of honey or some tiny amount like that, it can be important.

The only thing I don't like about it is that it has an auto-off feature that sometimes kicks in too soon and it will turn off while I'm in the middle of cutting and weighing stuff. There is a way to turn it back on so that it remembers what the last weight was, but I haven't quite figured out the trick so I can't do it consistently. Sometimes I can get it to work and sometimes I can't. I guess I need to read the manual. But the other features more than make up for this drawback.

Last edited by BlueToBlue; 03-23-2010 at 03:06 AM.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 09:19 AM   #8  

Thank you so much for the responses! I haven't decided on just one yet, but I am assured that I don't need anything "fancy". I was really concerned that I would get a basic scale and decide later that I really should have bought one with "x" feature.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:27 PM   #9  
Future Skinny Pastry Chef

S/C/G: 285/ticker/150

Height: 5'8"

I have the Soehnle 65055 Digital Scale.

I dunno if anybody else watches America's Test Kitchen and/or reads Cook's Illustrated, but this was their test kitchen winner for a number of years and still their best buy winner if you don't want to pull out the dough for the OXO Good Grips scale.

It's a basic scale, easy to clean, it is pretty, it's smaller and lighter than it looks in the pictures so it's not too hard to put away, it does have a tare function, it weighs in either grams or oz/lbs., good balance (no worries about stuff falling off). It's not as wide as the OXO, but that's fine for me.
Rashomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 04:34 PM   #10  

I just wanted to follow up and say that I bought a scale! Not only that I used it as a non-food incentive to get out of the house when I was feeling awful.

I had to go to my University to get some files I couldn't download off campus. I really didn't want to get out of the house since I was feeling dreadful, but I really needed the files to finish a project. I considered telling my prof that I was ill (which I was) and couldn't finish the project. But I had waited until the last day to get it done anyway, so I really needed to get it done.

I was trying to think of some reward for that extra push to get out of the house. (I really don't normally need an incentive to leave but I was feeling so dreadful) Of course the first thing I thought of was FOOD and I had almost talked myself into getting something dreadful with the excuse that I wasn't feeling good. But I stopped myself and came up with a healthier alternative! I remembered that a couple of you had recommended a scale from Target and there was one along the way so it seemed like the perfect solution.

Incidentally, I THOUGHT I was buying the Escali scale that mammasita and Suzanne recommended but I just looked at it and it is different! I got another scale for 29.99 that had the same basic features.

Taylor Digital Scale

It seems to be working great so far! I'm really pleased with it. Thank you all for your suggestions. Not only did they convince me that I could get a simple scale and be happy with it, but they also helped me to stay on the straight and narrow!
Old 03-30-2010, 04:42 PM   #11  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

I have a Salter that does grams and ounces, and goes up to 10 lbs. It is flat, with tare feature so I just use whatever container is handy.

I can also use it for mail, so yay.

A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote