Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 03-06-2010, 03:09 PM   #16  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer 3FC View Post
Re: Nutella - who says toast in any form is really healthy? Give that kid some steel cut oatmeal.

We wrote an article about HFCS, and immediately got emails from this same group of people defending it, and shortly thereafter received a big packet in the mail about it, urging us to study it and repost an opinion about it. Pfft.
Propaganda!
My friend the doctor got that packet in the mail shortly before the ad campaign started.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 03:11 PM   #17  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

"Wow, your hairdresser is a doctor?"

This is especially funny to me because I went to the ER last night to have my iliac crest X-rayed (long story) and the nurse, the Xray tech and the doctor all acted like it was impossible that someone without a medical degree would know where that was.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 05:57 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandalinn82 View Post
Julie - I was perhaps a bit defensive after having just polished off a stack of blueberry buttermilk pancakes for breakfast!
LOL, I have pancakes with Greek yogurt and strawberries every Sunday all summer long, no added sugar or refined flour involved. I definitely was talking about what most other people eat.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 07:55 PM   #19  

S/C/G: PSW165.6/157/115

Height: 5'1

I didn't like the commercial, I was pretty upset. As a diabetic and recovering sugar junkie, I stand against HFCS. It's not natural and nothing that they say trying to defend it would make me change my mind.

And the Nutella one it is re tar ded as well.

Last edited by Renacer; 03-06-2010 at 07:56 PM.
Renacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 12:24 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 337.4/322/155

Height: 5'8

I love the "it's the same as sugar and fine in moderation." This country isn't exactly known for doing things in moderation.
"You give your kids drinks with HFCS?"
"Well, it's the same as sugar!"
"Oh, well giving you kids drinks full of sugar is just fine then."

And the nutella ad- they aren't just saying add nutella to healthy stuff so your kids will eat it. They are saying that nutella IS the healthy stuff!
Aclai4067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 04:09 PM   #21  
Future Skinny Pastry Chef

S/C/G: 285/ticker/150

Height: 5'8"

It is pure propaganda because those in the ads who oppose HFCS are presented as rude ("Wow, don't care what the kids eat, huh?), have no manners (the older brother), buffonish (the male half of the couple in the park, although you can make this argument for every heterosexual couple in almost all ads and dom-coms), and then cannot present a coherent argument for their stance when put to task.

Now, why is this? Because the HFCS people cannot provide adequate rebuttals to the actual cases against their product. It's much easier to make yourself and whatever you're hawking look good if you present the other side as uneducated about the topic at hand. But if the other side goes into proven studies of blood sugar spikes and such and all you've got is "...but it's the same as sugar and fine in moderation!" then who looks like an idiot?

Yay propaganda!
Rashomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 04:14 PM   #22  
Sarah

Those commercials are terrible! They say its natural and ok in moderation. HFCS cannot be found in nature in the form that it is used! And how can you have it in moderation when everything on a supermarket shelf has HFCS!
buzybee188 is offline   Reply With Quote