Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 02-19-2010, 01:29 PM   #1  
diamondgeog

Default Pressure cooker = AWESOME

This has to be the best 'find' for me and my wife ever food wise.

She remembered her mom's old cranky dangerous pressure cooker and I had never used one. But I had heard the new ones were better. We ordered the number one selling stainless steel unit on Amazon a 6 quart presto that is around $45.

WOW. This thing has transformed our relationship with dinner.

Once you get the hang of it, it is pretty easy to use plus it has all these benefits.

1) Really quick meals compared to most other ways to prepare food. One caveat the actual cooking time is the time the pressure cooker takes to seal plus the 'cooking time' plus the cool down time. Sometimes you have to cool down a pressure cooker to release the heat the 'natural way' which can take a number of minutes. However we have done pot roasts and other meals where the meat is super tender in a fraction of the time it would take otherwise.

2) Really healthy meals. Pressure cooking is fast and foods retain a lot of nutrients compared to almost any other method. Steam is cooking the food for the most part so it is very, very healthy.

3) SUPER tasty meals. Pressure cookers rock in taste. Whatever liquids and herbs and seasoning you put in seems to go all through the meats and/or vegetables. PLUS we have gotten really tender meats that normally would have been 8 to 10 hours in a slow cooker.

4) Super economical. Because the super-heated steam (that is what pressure cookers do, have enough pressure that the water boils at a higher temperature and the steam is hotter) really breaks down tendons and such you can use 'cheap' meats and have them come out great.

We are seriously eating way better at home than most restaurants we use to go to. And not going out. So we eat better, healthier, and are saving money.

Pressure cookers ARE actually the best thing since sliced breat, love ours.
Old 02-19-2010, 01:57 PM   #2  
On a mission!

S/C/G: 333/310/260

Height: 5'9"

I also lOVE my pressure cooker! I can cook a healthy soup or stew in a matter of minutes that is more nutritious and quick than other methods of preparation.
Passionista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 06:11 AM   #3  
South Beach P2

S/C/G: 168/160/120

Height: 5'2

I love my pressure cooker too! They are great for cooking dried beans that normally take hours to become tender on the stove. I would be interested in more ways to use my pressure cooker.
Releve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 06:48 PM   #4  

Height: 6-1.5

I totally remember as a child, my mother accedently opening the valve and the juice spraying all over the ceiling of the kitchen. Totally theatrical.
giselley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 12:36 PM   #5  
diamondgeog

Releve,

Ms. Vickie's pressure cooker book available on amazon has been really useful. Amazon has a good selection of pressure cooker cookbooks
Old 02-21-2010, 12:52 PM   #6  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

You can start here, Miss Vickie's recipes
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 01:27 PM   #7  
South Beach P2

S/C/G: 168/160/120

Height: 5'2

Thanks Cyndi!
Releve is offline   Reply With Quote