3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Food Talk And Fabulous Finds (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds-17/)
-   -   What is your favorite fish? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds/193219-what-your-favorite-fish.html)

HadEnough 02-03-2010 09:12 PM

What is your favorite fish?

What kind of fish is your favorite and how do you prepare it? We had walleye tonight that I seasoned with some salt free seasoning that I picked up at the Hutterite Butcher Shop....and oh, was that a delight! So I was curious as to what everyone else likes and how you make it??

Hello Nurse 02-03-2010 09:26 PM

I love all seafood! Generally I prefer shellfish (loves me some boiled crawfish), but I have never met a fish I didn't like. Other than fried catfish, which is off the menu ;) I love salmon. I will either just cook it in a skillet with a little pam, salt/pepper and Tony's seasoning to taste, or I will put it on the grill in a "packet" of foil with some veggies thrown in. Again, salt/pepper/Tony's.

It is odd but I find that when I eat seafood I will almost always show a loss on the scale the next day.

raebeaR 02-03-2010 10:28 PM

Another salmon fan here... plus any and all seafood. I grill my salmon with a little butter infused with Herbes de Provence and garlic. It's crazy-good!!!!

Another favorite is Barramundi. I grill it in foil topped with sliced onions, paprika, lemon juice, fresh chopped parsley, dill, salt and pepper. Heaven on a plate!!!

Of course here in Oregon, we get Dungeness crab for free or for cheap, assuming you live near the coast... many's the time I've had a whole crab for dinner. It feels so naughty and luxurious, but the calorie intake is minimal!!!

Yummmm!!!!

Rae

Martina 02-04-2010 12:02 AM

Salmon. I do it very easy, I soak it in lemon, season it with sea salt and black pepper, and cook iton the stovetop.

Sanna Maria 02-04-2010 07:29 AM

I'm a big fish lover :) My current favourite is herring, but it varies, sometimes I really like trout and salmon. I've yet to learn to like pike and seabass.

SuperMom 02-04-2010 07:49 AM

we're huge salmon fans in my house. :)

the way i make is, is first i make a lemon-butter 'sauce', with lemon juice, butter, and water. i heat it up on the stove until the butter is completely melted and it's mixed up really good.

then i line a lasagna type pan with aluminum foil..kind of making a packet with the foil.
i'll then put in the salmon, and some mixed veggies such as corn, peas, potato slices...whatever you want!
then pour the lemon butter 'sauce' over the top of everything and close the packet, leaving just a small opening for steam to come out.

bake it for about 20-25 mins or so until the fish is completely cooked.

SO yummy!! and i have VERY picky eaters for kids.. lol

Thighs Be Gone 02-04-2010 07:54 AM

We eat sockeye salmon in a variety of ways. Sockeye, nutritionally, is much, much better for you than the "Atlantic" variety which is actually farm-raised.

My fave recipe right now is poaching the fish and placing it on a bed of cilantro, green onions, drizzle of olive oil and soy sauce. I love the ease and "freshness" of this.

I also adore cod. I usually make it into a little tin foil packet with lemon juice and diced garlic and spray with nonfat spray. Seal it and either grill it or bake in oven.

Yum! FISH!

shcirerf 02-04-2010 09:47 AM

Mahi Mahi! Love the stuff. Don't have it to often, it's hard to find around here and expensive.

AnnieDrews 02-04-2010 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shcirerf (Post 3134952)
Mahi Mahi! Love the stuff. Don't have it to often, it's hard to find around here and expensive.

I love Mahi Mahi, too. I need to work fish into my repertoire!

P.S. Go Sooners!;):devil:

thundahthighs 02-04-2010 11:34 AM

If it swam, I'll eat it.

We had salmon last night. We're having trouble finding the wild stuff here - a trip to Whole Foods may be in order. Been avoiding that place, as it entices money to come flying out of pocket and scurrying down the street, away from me, as quickly as it can...

honeybjones 02-04-2010 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thundahthighs (Post 3135156)
If it swam, I'll eat it.

We had salmon last night. We're having trouble finding the wild stuff here - a trip to Whole Foods may be in order. Been avoiding that place, as it entices money to come flying out of pocket and scurrying down the street, away from me, as quickly as it can...

Try Randall's on 183 and Braker. They usually have a pretty nice variety, Also, check out Sprouts at 183 and Great Hills Trail--their prices are better than Whole Foods.

Oh! And Central Market on Lamar.

SamanthaJubilee 02-04-2010 12:16 PM

Red fish is my favorite. I prefer it grilled on a "half shell", but only when it's done "right" (aka at a really nice restaurant).
Otherwise I like it baked with garlic & lemon.

Another easy favorite = talapia. Baked with salt free seasoning (usually garlic or lemon or both)

paris81 02-04-2010 07:10 PM

Salmon! It is hard to find the wildl stuff though.

I'm a big fan of shrimp and scallops--not fish, but shellfish!