Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 01-30-2010, 10:38 AM   #1  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Question Broccoli soup recipe needed...

Broccoli was on sale yesterday at my local produce store. I bought 2 large bunches at only $1.39 each.

So I was thinking I'd like to make some soup with it, but have no recipe for it. I googled it and didn't love what I came up with - lots of milk and stuff.

Anyone have a good recipe they wouldn't mind sharing??
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 10:50 AM   #2  
Back on Track 2 Healthy

S/C/G: 270/254.4/Healthy

Height: 5 feet Tall

I think there is one in the SBD area....Heidi58 where r u?
cathydoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 10:52 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 185/168/150

Height: 5'8

1 can fat free chicken broth
5 cups of water
1 cup celery (chopped)
1 cup onion (chopped)
1 10 oz. bag of frozen vegetables
1 10 oz bag of chopped broccili
2 1/2 cup of diced potatoes
2 cans of 98% FF cream of mushroom soup
1 lb of lowfat (2%) velveeta cheese
rotel
Bring water and broth to a boil. Add all vegetables (both frozen and fresh) and let cook for 30 minutes. Stir in cream of mushroom soup and slowly add in cheese (stirring constantly until melted)

NI = 127 Calories, 1 gram of fat and 5 grams of fiber
fitbyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 11:02 AM   #4  
Really maintaining now!

S/C/G: 375.6/low 160s maintaining

Height: 6'

My basic broccoli soup recipe (works with cauliflower as well) is this:

Approx 1.5 teaspoons olive oil
1 yellow onion, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
garlic (to taste; I use a lot of garlic in everything), finely minced
1 medium potato, diced
3 or 4 cups vegetable stock (if I don't have homemade, I use Marigold Vegetable powder). The amount kind of depends on how starchy your potato is, and how thick you like the soup.
2 bunches broccoli, nasty bits cut off, and chopped roughly
1 bay leaf and 1 sprig of thyme

Sautee the onion, celery and garlic until soft, then add the potatoes and sautee them for a few minutes as well. Add the stock and broccoli and bring up to the boil, then knock the heat back to a simmer, and cover, leaving the lid tilted a little. When the broccoli and potatoes have gone soft, turn off the flame, fish out the bay leaf and thyme, allow to cool a little bit, before pureeing with a stick blender. You may need to thin it down a little with either some skim milk, or more vegetable stock. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
catherinef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 11:16 AM   #5  
3 + years maintaining

cathydoe, thanks, but I think I'd prefer something without cheese. fitbyforty, I looked up the SB recipe and it too had cheese. Thanks though.

Catherine your recipe is very similar to how I make my cauliflower soup, which is what I was more or less looking for. I don't use a potato though and I roast garlic in the oven and then put it in after it's done cooking. I guess I was just wondering if this method/recipe would make a good broccoli soup. I think I'll just go ahead and give it a try. Thanks.

Oooh, I just remembered, my cauliflower soup - I put in parsnips too. Hmmm, I think I may skip that for the broccoli, on second though - maybe not. I'll have to see.
Old 01-30-2010, 12:08 PM   #6  
Really maintaining now!

S/C/G: 375.6/low 160s maintaining

Height: 6'

Yeah, the potato is mostly a compromise to keep my husband happy, by making the soup a little heartier, without putting any cream or cheese or anything in it. (He's English. His idea of broccoli soup is Broccoli and Stilton soup, and nope, cheese is not gonna happen while I'm making it.) It works just as well without it, although I'd either drop the amount of stock or up the broccoli if that were the case. I don't actually mind a thinner soup, but I think to a lot of people, broccoli soup is supposed to be thick.
catherinef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 01:30 PM   #7  
3 + years maintaining

Quote:
Originally Posted by catherinef View Post
Yeah, the potato is mostly a compromise to keep my husband happy, by making the soup a little heartier, without putting any cream or cheese or anything in it. (He's English. His idea of broccoli soup is Broccoli and Stilton soup, and nope, cheese is not gonna happen while I'm making it.) It works just as well without it, although I'd either drop the amount of stock or up the broccoli if that were the case. I don't actually mind a thinner soup, but I think to a lot of people, broccoli soup is supposed to be thick.
That's why I came up with the parsnip. More filler in the soup. Though potato is actually less calories than parsnips, but we do like the flavor that parsnips bring.