Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 01-28-2010, 07:09 PM   #1  
Meg

Default Article: Six Meaningless Claims On Food Labels

Check out this article from the New York Times about six claims on labels that we shoudl ignore: Six Meaningless Claims on Food Labels

The six meaningless claims are:

1. "Lightly sweetened"

2. "A good source of fiber"

3. "Strengthens your immune system"

4. "Made with real fruit"

5. "Made with whole grains"

6. "All natural"

Check out the article to find out why these are bogus claims, then read CSPI Urges FDA Crackdown on False & Misleading Food Labeling for some egregious examples of misleading labeling. If you have lots of time on your hands, read the full Center for Science in the Public Interest 158-page report here.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 08:48 PM   #2  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I love the Crystal Immunity Natural Pomegranate Cherry and Skin Essentials Pomegranate Lemonade drink mixes.

I don't for a minute believe that Crystal Light is doing anything for my skin or immune systemm and it annoys the heck out of me that they're using such words in their advertising. Neither am I impressed with the little disclaimer (always in fine print) that the product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease or health condition.

Ironically, the misleading packaging annoys me to such a degree that the company would get a lot MORE of my business if they weren't trying to misleadingly push the nutraceutical angle.

Last edited by kaplods; 01-28-2010 at 08:49 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 10:20 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 190.2/178.4/150

Height: 5'5

Here's a really good article on meat labeling-

fourhourworkweek.com/blog/2009/02/17/ethical-meat-vs-meat-hype-a-look-at-all-natural-grass-fed-and-other-half-truths

(sorry, can't make it clicky since I am new, add www to the beginning)

It is a disgrace that companies knowingly mislead people with these types of labels. If you want to know the truth about the food you eat you have to actually research it, it shouldn't be that hard.
Jelma is offline   Reply With Quote