3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Food Talk And Fabulous Finds (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds-17/)
-   -   Grilled cheese? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds/191791-grilled-cheese.html)

Raichu 01-22-2010 05:43 AM

Grilled cheese?

Hi all... my biggest vice is grilled cheese. It's the ultimate comfort food.

How can I re-vamp it to make it a good choice? Lately I've tried two slices of "whole-grain white," fresh mozzarella, and sundried tomato in a skilled greased with a tablespoon of olive oil.

What are your tricks for an acceptable grilled cheese?

brownsugah 01-22-2010 06:42 AM

funny, lately i have been obsessed with grilled cheese too! i have been making mine with alvarado's sprouted whole grain bread and one of the following: price chopper fat free mozzarella (45 cals per serving!), great lakes smoked gouda (80 cals per svg) or cabot 50% reduced fat cheddar (70 cals per svg). the bread is either 100 or 90 cals per slice (i dont remember) but it is very filling and i find myself full after a sandwich. i usually put it in a skillet on very low heat with some smart balance light in a nonstick skillet, but you gotta have patience with that stuff bc it gets the bread a little watery and you have to wait for it to evaporate! i try to go for the heartier breads without hfcs added. i also have some european dark grain bread in my freezer, which i intend to try when my alvarado's is all done. try pairing a sandwich with a package of spinach sauteed with garlic, pepper and salt for something more rounded...maybe also a light yogurt for dessert. yumm!

mayness 01-22-2010 09:31 AM

I use light wheat bread (a store brand, 40 cals per slice), and lowfat or part-skim cheeses. I'll use a little bit of real butter or olive oil usually... I'm not a big fan of cooking sprays and I don't buy butter substitutes because I use butter so rarely.

I try to always pair it with something healthy, like homemade vegetable soup. Yum.

My favorite grilled cheese EVER is with mozzarella, thinly sliced tomato, and fresh basil. Now I'm hungry. :devil:

ANewCreation 01-22-2010 09:43 AM

My dad introduced me to his healthy version of grilled cheese. Toast the bread of your choice. Then make your sandwich with cheese and pop in the microwave for about 30 seconds. This should (depending on the wattage of your microwave) melt the cheese yet leave the bread crispy. It's no problem to add tomato, etc. You just might have to microwave it a little more--an additional 15 seconds?

Yummy! And quick!

Bombe 01-22-2010 03:11 PM

I make mine without oil or butter in my george foreman grill, makes it nice and crispy. I use Kraft fat free american cheese (the only fat free cheese that I can't tell the difference between it and the regular) and 100% whole grain bread.

eroica27 01-23-2010 12:29 AM

I have been making mine in a nonstick skillet with no oil and have been eating full fat artisan cheeses like local gouda and multi grain wheat (45 cal a slice).