Hmm what to do with red cabbage??

• I got a red cabbage in my CSA box. My family isn't too fond of coleslaw with the apple in it. I've done sauteed cabbage and hubby and I like it.

Anyone have any ideas on what to do with it?
  • There are a lot of coleslaw and other cabbage salad recipes that don't have apple in it. You can use red cabbage in virtually any recipe that calls for green cabbage or any other cabbage, or even recipes that call for cabbage-related vegetables.

The vegetables related to cabbage, called Brassicas include, green and red cabbage, asian cabbages like bok choy, nappa cabbage, and also cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, kale, collard and mustard greens, kohlrabi....)
  • I like red cabbage shredded on fish tacos.
  • Braised red cabbage with Granny Smith apples. Sautee an onion with slices of apples. Add cabbage quarters, a bay leaf, a little dill & chicken broth. Cook till it wilts. Add a splash of vinegar to keep the cabbage's color from leaching out. Add a little salt, pepper & sugar. (Splenda will also work, if you're inclined thatway.) You want it to cook till it's soft.

It makes a very nice bedding for a bit of pork loin or a piece of chicken.
  • I eat red cabbage raw. It's very filling and it has, uh huh, other benefits as well ... good for the waste management system if you know what I mean.
  • I love it in fish tacos too. And shredded in salad. If I got one in my CSA box, I would probably try my mother's stuffed cabbage recipe - though she doesn't use red. I think it would be good.