Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 01-14-2010, 11:20 AM   #1  
little by little

S/C/G: 220/215/150

Height: Five foot two

Default A cup of sugar

Hope this is in the right place.

Anyways, I was curious about something. Being from the South, I am a BIG drinker of Sweet Tea. I have recently decided to cut down drastically. I usually drink about a gallon in 24 hours, with a cup of sugar in that gallon (and now that I type that out I realize how MUCH that is). I was curious-- how many calories in a cup of sugar?

I looked it up, its a little less than 800 calories, at least according to wikianswers (not the best source I know, but better than nothing).

That really put things into perspective. If I can cut out my Sweet Tea (and just think, I use a lot less sugar in my tea than a lot of other people) think of the difference that would make???

What a difference-- a cup of sugar a day= 800 calories x 7 days a week= 5600 a week.
Martina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 11:56 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 230.8/see ticker/160

Height: 5'8

My fitday says 774 calories and 200 g carbohydrates!

I would think you'd lose weight just by cutting out that sweet tea. I used to drink between 3 and 6 cups of tea a day each cup had 2 tsp sugar in it, PLUS 2 or 3 pepsi. I've cut out all pop, but still drink one tea in the morning. Could you let yourself have one cup of sweet tea in the morning, then water for the rest of the day. Or let yourself have 1 cup of sweet tea but dilute it?
babygrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 12:21 PM   #3  
Call me Finki =)

S/C/G: 400/300/155

Height: 5'6"

I also love my sweet tea, but can't have sugar because of Gastric bypass. I drink mine with lots of fresh lemon juice and just a little Splenda or Nustevia. This makes it virtually calorie free. Could you try it like this?
Gelene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 12:54 PM   #4  
little by little

S/C/G: 220/215/150

Height: Five foot two

Actually I've started drinking herbal tea with nothing (sometimes I put a bit of honey in it) in it in the morning and then water throughout the day. I do drink a glass of sweet tea with dinner but eventually I may cut that out altogether.

I was just amazed at the number of calories I could save alone by cutting that tea out.
Martina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 09:40 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 164/143/138

Height: 5'73/4"

Talking I too, have a sweet tea issue

Sweet tea, oh if I was stranded on a island and could have one thing to drink, sweet tea it is. I also take in way too much suger and have wondered what my life would be like if I drank unsweet tea. I would probably lose the flab in my stomach. Maybe I'll just deal with the flabby stomach...

westtexaschick is offline   Reply With Quote