Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 01-06-2010, 09:19 AM   #1  
so close I can feel it!

S/C/G: 186.6/154/137

Height: 5'5"

Default what to do with ground meat

Someone gave us some ground venison and I'm not sure what to do with it. I have only really used ground meat for hamburger helper or hamburgers but I don't want to do either of those with this. Any healthy ideas for me?
zephyr524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 11:13 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 160/160/115

Height: 5'2"

I use a lot of ground beef, venison and turkey (or veggie substitutes for ground meat). They're generally quick and easy to cook so they work for me. Here are some ideas:

Chili - a great choice if you're cooking for anyone who doesn't like the taste of venison, the spices hide it a bit!
Meatloaf
Meatballs
Bolognese sauce (eat over veggies instead of pasta if you want to keep carbs low)
Salisbury steak (good with a healthy mushroom-based gravy)
Taco salad
Cabbage rolls
Lasagna - I've seen recipes that use slices of zucchini or eggplant instead of noodles!
Shepherd's pie (go light on the potatoes, include lots of veggies)
mayness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 11:19 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 210/150/150/140

Height: 5'9"

Gound venison is a little gamey, so the chili idea is great! Also, the lasagna, or a good spaghetti sauce.
Suzyszoo is offline   Reply With Quote