Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 12-22-2009, 05:29 PM   #1  
Ufi
Persistence

S/C/G: 220/ticker/140

Height: 5-4

Default Xylitol recipes and cooking experience

My dental hygienist recommended xylitol to me, and I wondered about people's experience with this sweetener?
Ufi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 06:15 PM   #2  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Well, let me tell you first that it's not without it's benefits. My younger daughter used Xylitol in the nasal spray form as a baby. She had 7 rounds of pneumonia in one year and was being treated with nebulizer and steroids. I read about Xylitol, began using it and took her off dairy products. She cleared within two weeks. Xylitol is known for many things--preventing tooth decay, etc. It has been used for several decades in the U.S. as a food additive and is approved by the FDA.

Fast forward to me--a couple of months ago. I decided that artificial sweetners would be off my list. I moved to Xylitol--the granular type. I loved it in my coffee--I began using it in lots of things right away--on top of berries, in smoothies, etc. About two days in I began cramping and assumed I had a stomach bug. Overnight I lost 3 pounds due to diarrhea. It cleared. My stomach was a little peaked so I did mostly toast and crackers for a couple of days. On the 3rd morning I got up and made my coffee with another dose of the Xylitol. Within an hour or two I began experiencing the same cramps and diarhhea again! After doing some research I learned this was indeed a common side effect for many people.

If you begin using it, I would go sparingly just to make certain you aren't one of "those people."

Last edited by Thighs Be Gone; 12-22-2009 at 06:17 PM.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 12:59 PM   #3  
Ufi
Persistence

S/C/G: 220/ticker/140

Height: 5-4

Reading up on it, I learned that it also acts as a fiber (which is a good thing, right?), which is what causes the stomach problems. Add too much of other types of fiber in too quickly, and it won't be pleasant. I've started on the mints/gum. Strange to have a candy and think that I'm supposed to NOT brush my teeth.
Ufi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 01:11 PM   #4  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

Just keep it away from your pets - I know it's very toxic to dogs!

Last edited by CLCSC145; 12-23-2009 at 07:45 PM.
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 01:30 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

Very VERY toxic to dogs....a small amount can kill a small dog....
MindiV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 07:42 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 230/229/200

Height: 5'3

I am a regular user of xylitol--when I can find it at the health food store! It must be popular because often the store it out of it

I use it in baking for the most part. I've served cheesecake, pie, etc made with it to friends, informing them of the switch, and they swear they can't tell it's not made with sugar. I am not (nor have I ever been) a sweet beverage drinker but my friends have used it and seem to like it.

The only time I've ever had any of the above mentioned side effects was eating too much of it. My brother had a severe incident with it but he puts alot of sugar in his coffee--sorry bub, I didn't know you were using it! If I allow myself one standard serving it doesn't upset my stomach at all. That's no big deal these days since I'm much more aware of portion control.

Enjoy! I think you will like it on just about anything you use it in. Just don't over indulge
ANewCreation is offline   Reply With Quote