Turkey pepperoni?

• Making pizza tonight, and I want to cut down my calories a bit. I'm considering buying a pack of turkey pepperoni and using it rather than the regular...

What's your experience with the turkey stuff? How does it cook, what does it taste like in regards to regular pepperoni, etc?
  • I actually don't mind the turkey pepperoni at all. I don't think it's as spicy as the real stuff, but it's drastically lower in calories. I use it when I make homemade pizza.
  • Yeah nevermind....can't buy it here anyway...

But thanks for the info, Windchime...I'll store it away for next time...
  • Hmmm....maybe I'll switch to Canadian bacon instead of pepperoni. The pack of Canadian bacon we've got is 60 calories for FIVE slices...
  • I can buy hormel turkey pepperoni slices at my local regular supermarket. They are great!
    haven't used canadian bacon, tho.
  • Our local supermarket is in a town of 3,500....I apparently can't get turkey ANYTHING here, except turkey smoked sausage. Don't think that would go well on a pizza though...
  • Mindi - I've used the turkey pepperoni on pizza, also used the Canadian bacon. Both better for you than pepperoni. And, I might actually use the turkey smoked sausage. Slice it into really thin rounds, brown it in a skillet with a little spice maybe, throw it on the pizza. Or, slice it longwise into this ribbons? I had Italian sausage on a pizza this way once and it was pretty good. Don't know that it would be any better for you than pepperoni, though! Can't remember the nutritional info on it off the top of my head.
  • I dont know about pep. but turkey bacon is awesome..and its not greasy like the reg stuff..You notice a big differance in the pan and your waistline
  • I think the turkey smoked sausage is somewhere around 90 calories in 2 ounces...not as low as the canadian bacon. It's looking like Canadian bacon for me tonight....

I like turkey stuff, like the smoked sausage, bacon and all. My husband doesn't, though, so I like to use it with things we're making separately. He'll eat a pizza LOADED with stuff while I generally like a little meat and cheese. The other day I did manage to sneak in some turkey smoked sausage on him. He said the meal was one of the best I'd ever eaten...THEN I dropped the bomb that it was turkey!
  • Mindi on Rachael Ray today that Hungry Girl was on...she said turkey pepperoni is 1/2 the calories and tastes the same if not better...

Angie and I use turkey bacon but not all of them are tasty as far as we are concerned...we do really like Oscar Meyer the best
  • Candian bacon is a good choice also, though. I've been known to eat it right out of the pack. A nice hit of protien with few calories and very good taste. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy turkey products too including pepperoni, bacon, and last week even found some small little smokies that weren't half bad. But I don't think that pigs are enemy either, if one choose wisely.