Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 10-14-2009, 10:14 PM   #16  
Finding my wings...

S/C/G: 256/see ticker/156

Height: 5'2 and a freakin' HALF!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
Oh my goodness. Who wouldv'e thunk it? I used to think that it was a punishment to eat an apple. Now it's a treat which I totally and completely look forward to and enjoy.
Same here Robin!

My grandmother is constantly shocked how I look forward to my fruits these days..... it'd be a big fruit week for me if I had fruit twice a week in the past!
starfishkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 10:19 PM   #17  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

I love honeycrisp apples! I think I heard about them on 3FC a few years ago. I thought, how good can an apple be? Well, these are amazingly great.

The ones I just got at the market are HUGE though. I'm kinda bummed because they've got to be the equivalent of two apples. And cut apples don't save very well. I suppose I could rub the cut side with a lemon...
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 10:33 PM   #18  
Eyes on the Prize

S/C/G: 350/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

Oh I need to get some of these! I saw them at the grocery last week and didn't get any. Now I am bummed. Next trip I will get some.

Does anyone know if these freeze well? What I mean is, sometimes I will make up a bag of apple pie or apple crisp filling and freeze it when apples are in season. Then pull it out over the winter. Any idea?
HotWings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 10:54 PM   #19  
One Old Jedi

S/C/G: 306/208/195

Height: 6'0"

Default Is it just me?

Is it just me but I love these too...

Now I want you when you bite into the next one to ask yourself...
What combinations of tastes does it remind you of?

Put two tastes together, or the apple and a hint of what ??? does it taste like.

I want some unbiased opinions before I reveal my thoughts...
What is the combining taste ? It has a hint of what in your opinion?

The Orange One

ps. I don't think it's an orange, really
PSP Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 10:55 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 204/ticker/130

Height: 5'4

ooh i dont recall ever trying this specific type but im definitely going to seek some tomorrow!
caitybates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 11:41 PM   #21  
GmaTo8

In my area, there is only one orchard that grows Honey Crisps, and when they're ready, I make a bee-line to get some. The price here is $21.00 a peck. I bought 2 pecks this year, so I can share with others. I like to think I'm buying them with money that I used to squander on junk food.
Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 01:08 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 252-255?/ticker/145

Height: 5'6''

Yes! I love them! I used to only eat apples because they were convienent and portable, but with the Honeycrisps, I actually enjoy them!

I first tried it when I moved to Minneapolis-big deal here because it was the University of Minnesota that "created" them.

I used to dip them in caramel sauce--no more! So sad. Oh well, it's worth it.
paris81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 04:42 PM   #23  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I have Smucker's sugar free caramel sauce in the fridge, and I use it as an apple-dip, carefully measuring out the 2 tablespoons (70 calories), which counts in my exchange plan as a "carbohydrate exchange."

Generally, though I only use it on "inferior" apples. I slice my apple, taste it, and only then decide if I want caramel sauce. I tried it on a honeycrisp, and I won't do that again. It was good, but the strong flavor/sweetness of caramel obliterated the uniqueness of the honeycrisp.

Last edited by kaplods; 10-16-2009 at 04:46 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 05:07 PM   #24  
~*Lupo di Autunno*~

S/C/G: 162/115/115

Height: 5'3"

Honeycrisps are my favorite eating apple, though I only buy them as a treat when I can find them in the store.
Wolf Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 05:12 PM   #25  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I looked in several stores today and sadly I could not find the Honey Crisp. I was terribly disappointed.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 07:14 PM   #26  

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
I have Smucker's sugar free caramel sauce in the fridge, and I use it as an apple-dip, carefully measuring out the 2 tablespoons (70 calories), which counts in my exchange plan as a "carbohydrate exchange."
This is a great idea, Kaplods. I lurve me some caramel apples, but don't really like the idea of tossing back 300 calories to enjoy one. I hope I can find this product out here in the wilds of rural Missouri.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 08:21 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

I bought some honey crisp last time the subject came up on here. The ones I got were very, very sour. I don't like Granny Smith, so I didn't like the honey crisp. Did I get bad ones or are you all sour apple lovers? I know lots of people like sour apples. I think they call them "tart". Shiver!!! LOL. I like Fuji and Gala.
gailr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 08:43 PM   #28  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by gailr42 View Post
I bought some honey crisp last time the subject came up on here. The ones I got were very, very sour. I don't like Granny Smith, so I didn't like the honey crisp. Did I get bad ones or are you all sour apple lovers? I know lots of people like sour apples. I think they call them "tart". Shiver!!! LOL. I like Fuji and Gala.
Good honecrisps are very sour - but not like a Granny Smith, because they're sweet too. To use a Fuji for comparison, Honey Crisp are more sour, but they're sweeter too.

I have noticed in the batch that I have now (or rather, just finished this afternoon), there were a couple apples in the bag of Honeycrisp that were more on the sour than the sweet side. I do like tart apples though, even if they're not sweet, so a sour Honeycrisp still tastes pretty good to me. Growing up, we had an apple tree in our back yard. It grew small green apples, that would barely get a tiny blush of pink - and they were so sour they made Granny Smiths seem sweet.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 09:04 PM   #29  
Eyes on the Prize

S/C/G: 350/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

I grabbed some up today to try them. Oh my.. this is probably the best apple I have ever eaten. Very yummy.. almost like dessert for me! Thanks so much for mentioning them.. will definitely stay on the lookout at the store for these.
HotWings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 05:39 PM   #30  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSP Orange View Post
Is it just me but I love these too...

Now I want you when you bite into the next one to ask yourself...
What combinations of tastes does it remind you of?

Put two tastes together, or the apple and a hint of what ??? does it taste like.

I want some unbiased opinions before I reveal my thoughts...
What is the combining taste ? It has a hint of what in your opinion?

The Orange One

ps. I don't think it's an orange, really
I gave this a lot of thought today while I had one for lunch (I'm weird, I know ) and I think they taste just like Apple Jolly Rancher hard candies. I've never thought that apple flavored candy tasted like apples, but these are the closest match I've come across. I think they also have a slight grapey flavor too.

Last edited by CLCSC145; 10-17-2009 at 05:39 PM.
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote