Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 09-29-2009, 09:37 AM   #31  

S/C/G: 160/160/115

Height: 5'2"

I've tried spaghetti squash before and was fairly unimpressed... the taste didn't go well with the pasta sauce I used on it. I gave up, convinced that there was something about all hard/winter squashes that I just don't like.

But you've all inspired me to try again, and I bought a tiny one to try tonight. I'll let you know what I end up doing with it!
mayness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 10:15 AM   #32  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayness View Post
I've tried spaghetti squash before and was fairly unimpressed... the taste didn't go well with the pasta sauce I used on it. I gave up, convinced that there was something about all hard/winter squashes that I just don't like.

But you've all inspired me to try again, and I bought a tiny one to try tonight. I'll let you know what I end up doing with it!
Yes. Don't give up on it. Try it again.

I just had me a big bowl of it, yup - for breakfast. It was scrumptious.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 10:36 AM   #33  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDream View Post
I had no idea it was so yummy! And hard to cut through! Had to use my new found muscles to get my knife through it! (I'm talkin' about before I cooked it of course )
I always take my squash over to the meat department and ask the butcher to cut it in half. I get funny looks, but they do it
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 11:26 AM   #34  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

I had great success with the last spaghetti squash that I got. I think it's because the pasta sauce I made was a little sweeter and had more veggies diced up in it than before? I will definitely use that method my next go round. I also baked it a little longer than I have before.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 12:55 AM   #35  
Wishes I could be a cat!

S/C/G: 249/241/150

Height: 5'2

I got one of these to by mistake...but this sounds GOOD!!!
momto3kittiess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 08:10 AM   #36  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Under the rock

Add me to the list of folks living under a rock, eating NO winter squash, until I started my journey four years ago. Now I love spaghetti squash.

This week's lunches are my homemade chili over spaghetti squash. So good; I look forward to lunch each day.

I cook mine using the poke holes, 2 minutes in the microwave, cut and de-seed, method. Then I put them face down in a little water on a plate and put them right back in the microwave for 12 minutes. Perfect every time.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 04:59 PM   #37  
This means war...

S/C/G: 277/237/199

I like squash, but was in the butternut rut for about two years. I branched out a few days ago and instead of grabbing the butternut I grabbed the spaghetti. I'm cooking it up tonight and was delighted to find this thread today. Thanks for all the suggestions.
Mango30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 04:55 PM   #38  
choose your hard

S/C/G: 313/see ticker/150

Quick question about the consistency of Spaghetti Squash...is it still supposed to have a bit of a crunch to it? I'm not sure if I'm cooking it long enough or not. Just tried last night's effort, and it was quite crunchy....
weezerloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 10:10 AM   #39  

S/C/G: 252-255?/ticker/145

Height: 5'6''

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezerloo View Post
Quick question about the consistency of Spaghetti Squash...is it still supposed to have a bit of a crunch to it? I'm not sure if I'm cooking it long enough or not. Just tried last night's effort, and it was quite crunchy....
Yeah, I was wondering this as well. Everyone says it's exactly like pasta, but the consistency of mine seemed a bit off. The flavor though was delicious! Saute in a bit of olive oil and garlic...sooo good. Everyone here has great ideas, I'm going to try them as well!
paris81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 10:11 AM   #40  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

It is definitely not exactly like pasta.

It can take the place of pasta, but the flavor is different as is the texture.

Spaghetti squash does have a little crunch, but the longer you cook that the more you can soften it.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 05:17 PM   #41  
WW Moderator

Somebody up above asked for an acorn squash recipe... I just found this one today and printed it out to try. I've got to make vegetarian modifications but that won't be hard at all! It got great reviews on Foodbuzz.

http://healthy-delicious.com/2009/10...-acorn-squash/
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 05:05 AM   #42  

Hi!!!

When i visited this forum, i felt amazed to find discusion about spagetthi.
Thanks for sharing this recipe. This is my favorite one and i can't resist to eat it. Best to my knowledge,this is utilized in preparing various pasta dishes. If i am correct,I want to know few of these pasta dishes based on spagetti and their recipees too..

And i don't think that no other place is better than this to get valuable information regarding spagetthi.

Eager to get a fast response....
Pls reply me soon...

Neha Sood
Food Reviewer
foood.in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacquie668 View Post
I did mine the like lazy way. I just cut one in half, put it on a microwave safe bowl or platter (glass), put the cut half side down, and I covered it with microwave safe plastic wrap. Then I nuked it for 8 minutes. It steamed it. After it was done I took the plastic wrap off and let it sit for just a bit. Then I turned it over and ran a fork through the flesh, which gives you the strands.

You can also roast it in the oven. I assume you wrap it in foil and roast it maybe at 350 or 400 degrees for a time. I would try that, only my oven is bad and burns everything from the bottom, so I have to depend on my microwave.

Any way you do it, then you can add what you want to it as you would pasta.

Last edited by fooodin; 11-05-2009 at 05:06 AM.
fooodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 06:03 AM   #43  
MBN

S/C/G: 150/G:finding the happy me

I've been on a spagetti squash "kick" lately -- love it! Some of the things I've tried:
- sprinkled with garlic powder, salt and butter buds
- sprinkled with italian seasoning, garlic powder and parmesan cheese
- topped with a cup of chili (like chili with pasta, only with the squash)
- top with two ounces of "taco meat" (hamburger prepared with taco seasoning), taco sauce, salsa and plain nonfat yogurt (my sour cream sub).
- sautee chopped sweet onion, zucchini and diced tomatoes. Add garlic powder and red pepper (for a kick). Add spagetti squash - yum! You can stir in tofu or cooked eggbeaters for protein.

The possibilities are endless ....
MBN is offline   Reply With Quote