I bought sardines. Now what?

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I bought them on a whim--they are packed in water, not oil, and have no salt. I've never eaten sardines before, but they looked low fat and high in protein. Any tips?
  • I wish I could help but I don't like em at all :|

I am sure others will have some great ideas for you
  • I like to eat them on a sandwich, put them on wholewheat bread with hot mustard. Sometimes I eat them with triscuits, I also put them on my salad sometimes for protein.
  • I like a good spicy mustard, and maybe if I hate the taste of sardines the mustard will help, lol! Keep the ideas coming guys; my mom bet me 5 bucks I wouldn't be able to stomach them
  • Put extra mustard on and they will swim right down! They smell fishy, but taste way better than they smell, honest... My husband cringes whenever I eat them, but me no care I like em!
  • They're really good for you, but I don't like 'em. My mom LOVES them and eats them for her afternoon snack often. She eats them on stone ground wheat crackers with a few drops of hot sauce on each bite.
  • I'd vote cook with them. Add them to pasta sauce, when you're sauteing the onions and garlic, toss a few in. They kinda melt, so they just add salty depth of flavor, and aren't fishy at all.
  • You mash them with some Laughing Cow cheese triangles and a cooked sweet potato into a thick spread. Add salt, pepper, mustard or whatever other flavours you like (or chopped herbs). Put it on an open faced sandwich with some veggies on top. Or on a whole wheat tortilla again with some veggies.
    Excellent source of protein and very tasty!
  • I make a sandwich filling by adding onion, celery, pickles, lemon and a bit of mayo.
  • Eat them with vegetables, as part of a salad. I like them on fancy toast or with crackers, or red peppers.

I prefer the ones in tomato sauce, actually But they're very good for you!
  • Glad I discovered the sardine thread. I hadn't realized they had such health benefits. I always bought them for my husband because he enjoys eating them. He likes to eat them with white rice, which never looked appealing to me.
    I like the idea of eating them with crackers and hot sauce though!
  • Surely, Kaplods will come on any second and tell u JUST what to do w those--she is very good with recipe ideas!
  • Come on Kaplods!!! I keep forgetting I have them and I haven't eaten them yet, lol!
  • I smear them on a ritz cracker! I love sardines! I dont put anything on them....
  • On crackers with a slice of red onion.

[Patiently waiting for Kaplods with the answer]