Margarine vs. Butter

• Growing up I've always used margarine,on occasion butter and have done that even as an adult.Recently though,as I gazed down the isle,I became so confused at all the different varieties to choose from.

I thought I'd try a new margarine and skip the butter.I picked one that boasted omega 3's and so on....got it home,opened it up,smelled and tasted it.Blech!!! It was nasty!

So,I'm curious,for those who have been eating well and losing effectively,what do you use?

I don't use either very often,but when I do...I'd like it to have a nice flavor.
  • I use it very seldom myself, and tend to use Land O' Lakes unsalted butter. I haven't noticed a huge calorie difference between it and margarine, honestly.
  • I prefer olive oil to anything else. Honestly I buy whatever is the cheapest at the market! It's usually blue bonnet butter if I remember correctly.
  • I eat 1-2 tbsp of country crock butter everyday and I seem to be doing okay
  • I'm a butter girl & lost over 100 lbs eating & continuing to eat butter
    http://www.westonaprice.org/foodfeatures/butter.html

• I don't eat it every day, but when I do, I use butter. The only margarine I can stomach is "I can't believe it's not butter"
  • Thanks Kim.

This is an exceprt about butter and weight gain from the site you linked us to -

"..The notion that butter causes weight gain is a sad misconception. The short and medium chain fatty acids in butter are not stored in the adipose tissue, but are used for quick energy. Fat tissue in humans is composed mainly of longer chain fatty acids.15 These come from olive oil and polyunsaturated oils as well as from refined carbohydrates. Because butter is rich in nutrients, it confers a feeling of satisfaction when consumed. ..."
  • I never use it myself but when I do need to for a recipe, I use Earth Balance. It isn't hydrogenated.

As far as info from the Weston Price foundation and their views of butter and other views, I would take their information with a grain of salt and do your own research.
  • Yeah, but that article also thinks it's relevant to include comments like "American folk wisdom recognized that children raised on butter were robust and sturdy; but that children given skim milk during their growing years were pale and thin, with "pinched" faces." So utterly irrelevant that including it makes it hard not to figure the rest of it for propaganda too.
  • Quote:
    As far as info from the Weston Price foundation and their views of butter and other views, I would take their information with a grain of salt and do your own research.
    I've done my own research....for me, it will always be butter and not some chemically processed, fake imitation with ingredients I can't even pronounce
  • Kim,

I am sure you have done your own research but I was just pointing out that Weston Price is not a good primary source of information. Secondary source maybe but I recommend to look for trusted and recognized sources of information first.

As I said, I really don't see a need for either butter or margarine. Earth Balance is a good substitute for those that want one and it has no unpronounceable ingredients. Plus it isn't full of hormones like many dairy products happen to be.
  • Thank you all for you responses....they are all extremely helpful.

Nelie-The hydrogenated part is what got me to check out other brands of margarine in the first place.I was looking for something that wasn't,and since I had already spent to much on a brand that will be wasted now(even I wont eat it),I wanted to ask others what they used.

Jerseygyrl-I think that's what I'm going to stick with.In moderation I can't see it being a problem.Thanks!
  • Quote: Jerseygyrl-I think that's what I'm going to stick with.In moderation I can't see it being a problem.Thanks!
    Do yourself a favor and try Kerrygold Pure Irish Butter Its a little pricey....but....oh so worth it!