Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 08-06-2009, 05:08 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 261/241/160

Height: 5'11

Default Brown Rice Help

I have never been a rice eater, I can't stand the taste of rice by itself, and everytime I try to make it with something else it doesn't turn out good at all.

Do you guys have any ideas how to prepare the rice to make it edible for me? I want to use some type of sauce or something to make it better. I love chicken, and I am just not combining the two very well. My searching on the internet hasn't come anything promising yet.

Any suggestions would be fab!
Phantom Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 05:13 PM   #2  
Anne

S/C/G: 407/358-Dec2007/tracker/125

Height: 5'4"

Although I've never hated rice, it's not my favourite starch. I specifically went looking for a brown rice recipe a while back (to serve at a dinner party) and found this one:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...ipe/index.html

If you look at the comments sections you'll see what other people have added to make it more tasty. I drop the salt, using chicken stock instead of water and will add dried onion flakes and seasonings appropriate to what I'm serving it with.
RealCdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 05:25 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 345/ticker/170

Height: 5'8

To make my life simpler, I buy the minute rice brown. It only takes about 12 mins in the microwave.

Then I do a nice batch of vegies, usually sliced mushrooms, peppers, some onion, etc in a bit of olive oil in a non-stick fry pan, throw in the rice, and some lite soy sauce. I usually like serving this with my grilled chicken breast.

Also, I find cutting up a tomato and putting it in with the rice for the last few mins of browning gives it a nice flavour too.

Sometimes, I also like to put in some veggies and a bit of herbed tomato sauce for flavour.

Hope this helps !
ruby2sday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 05:34 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

LOL, I'm not much help. I quite enjoy a bowl of plain, steamed brown rice.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 05:42 PM   #5  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Have you considered something saucy?

I find a chana masala over rice is divine
or something like these lentils:
http://www.researchgirl.com/parse/archives/966

Have you tried other grains? I use brown rice in my rotation but also use whole wheat couscous, quinoa, buckwheat, barley, millet, etc.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 05:54 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 156/142/120

Height: 5'4"

why force yourself to incorporate rice at all if you hate it?
I happen to love rice & it was really really hard to give up for me, cause i couldnt stop at a reasonable portion.. but i do eat other whole grains such as quinoa and barley and couscous... maybe you might want to give these a try? They give you more bang for your buck (fiber/calorie-wise) than rice anyway.
SugarHabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 06:26 PM   #7  
Closed

S/C/G: 244/165/137

Height: 5' 7"

Like above -- if you don't like it, eat something else as a side --

Found this list of whole grains online:

Amaranth
Barley
Bulgur (cracked wheat)
Whole-wheat pasta
Whole-wheat couscous
Flaxseed
Millet
Oats
Quinoa
Rye
Spelt
Wheat berries
Wild rice (not RICE, but a wild grass)

Give some of these a try!

You may wish to post on the whole foods forum too, for ideas.
Kira
kiramira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 10:31 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 261/241/160

Height: 5'11

Thanks everyone for the ideas. I do like rice when others have made it, I could just never get it right and tasty to me. I'm still getting used to cooking for myself, so I'll definitely try some of the other grains.

I tend to be a picky eater. What do these other grains taste like? So I can get an idea of what I'm looking at.
Phantom Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 03:28 AM   #9  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

Maybe try cooking your rice in the oven. I can never get my brown rice to come out right on the stove top, but when I cook it in the oven it comes out perfect every time. And it's easy. Just mix the portions of rice and liquid called for (and maybe a little salt), bring it to a boil on the stovetop, then pour it all into a casserole dish, cover and bake at 400 for 45 minutes to an hour. Put it in the oven and forget about until it is done--don't be tempted to stir it until the very end. Stirring releases the starch, which will make it mushy.

I always make my brown rice with chicken broth, which gives it a little extra flavor. I also like it with light coconut milk subbed for half of the liquid, but this does increase the calories.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote