Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 07-26-2009, 08:43 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 11st/-/9st

Default Yakult

What is everyones opinion of yakult or other probiotic drinks? Do they really help your immune system?
Umberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 11:03 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Never heard of Yakult.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 04:36 PM   #3  

Yakult is made from skimmed milk powder, sugar, water and a live probiotic strain of good bacteria called Lactobacillus casei Shirota.

Last edited by SunshineCA; 07-26-2009 at 04:37 PM.
SunshineCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 08:40 PM   #4  

I used to drink yakult as well as danactive light. I drank the stuff to help regulate my digestive system. I switched over to a probiotic capsule because of the cost. It HAS helped my digestive problems immensely. My doctor recommended I look into probiotics. I take a probiotic pill along with a digestive enzyme so I think for me it is the combo of the two. I had taken one alone in the past and not had any result, but together they are the first thing that has helped me in close to 20 years.
LindaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 04:18 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 11st/-/9st

wow, thats pretty amazing. I dont have serious digestive problems but i occaisonally have things, and i get throat infections a lot so id love something t give me a boost. I have been taking yakult light this week (it was on special offer), its about 20kcals. It really tastes disgusting though, should i go for the regular instead? its about 50-60 kcals and has lots of sugar but im trying not to have too much artificial sweetener so maybe it would be better
Umberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 11:30 AM   #6  

I never tried the light Yakult so I cannot comment if the regular is any better. Give it a try and if it does help you, probitic capsules are much cheaper in the long run. Of course, then again you'd have to find one that worked for you.
LindaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 08:35 PM   #7  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

They were giving away samples of Yakult at my gym and I asked about the nutritionals. The tiny bottles (80ml) have 50 calories each. Then the Yakult representative said, in a very excited tone, like somehow this was a good thing, that one bottle has 11g of sugar. At 4 calories per gram, this is basically just liquified sugar.

It's about the same as drinking regular soda. In fact, I think it might be worse. 12 oz of regular classic Coke as 140 calories and 39g of sugar. 12 oz of Yakult would have 222 calories and 48g of sugar. Would you drink regular soda if it had probiotics? Then why drink Yakult? It seems to me that there must be healthier ways to get probiotics.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 08:38 PM   #8  
Getting healthy again!!

S/C/G: 204/199/140

Height: 5'2.5"

I have tried the Yakult and found it sickeningly sweet. I now use pro-biotic pills as recommended by my doctor it has made a great difference in my quality of life.
Cebsme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 11:09 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 307.2/249.4/150.0

Height: 5 feet 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargoo View Post
Never heard of Yakult.
It's a Japanese brand, isn't it? (One of the Japanese big-league baseball teams, I forget its city, is called the Yakult Swallows, they're owned by the Yakult company: a number of J-baseball teams are owned by manufacturing corporations and have the name of the product in their team name.) I've never seen it in Minnesota but maybe it's easier to find on the west coast?

ETA 08.05: Would it be too much to speculate whether in Japanese like in English the word "swallow" means both "a bird" and "what you would *do* with Yakult"?

Last edited by ANOther; 08-05-2009 at 10:49 AM.
ANOther is offline   Reply With Quote