3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Food Talk And Fabulous Finds (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds-17/)
-   -   Dried zucchini (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds/177135-dried-zucchini.html)

ennay 07-20-2009 08:17 PM

Dried zucchini

OMG.

My CSA has started the zucchini explosion and since I dont like the rubberyness of frozen zukes I dried some. Crack. I think I ate about 2 large zukes worth of dried today. But thats like what, 90 calories? 8 grams of fiber. Drank a bunch of water with it and I think they reconstituted in my tummy. pretty filling.

Definitely a nice replacement for nibbly snacks and also good on salad, very flavorfull. I think it would also be good as a base for hummus or laughing cow.

JulieJ08 07-20-2009 08:19 PM

Sounds neat. Did you use a dehydrator?

roundpeg 07-20-2009 09:24 PM

I bought some celery to try to incorporate into my food plan, it didn't work, I just don't care for celery. BUT I did dehydrate it, thinking I could add it to soup and stuff. The jar is sitting on my counter and I have munched on the celery chips.

Tasty, good crunch, good stuff!

CyndiM 07-20-2009 09:28 PM

I love zucchini chips! I make 1/2 my winter stash with dill & onion and the other half with basil & garlic. Cucumbers work great too.

wendyland 07-20-2009 09:32 PM

Anyone have directions on how to make them? Just cut up and put in dehydrator? Do you add salt or seasoning?

kaplods 07-20-2009 09:37 PM

I slice the zucchini thinly. If I'm using a super-zuch (melon sized), I remove the seeds and then slice. Then I put the slices in a large bowl of cold water with a couple tablespoons of salt dissolved in it and allow them to sit for about 20 minutes before putting them on the dehydrator trays (or I don't add salt to the water, and just sprinkle salt on after I have them on the dehydrator trays).

I only use them as snack chips. When I've tried to add them to soups, the texture is weird, soggy and a bit slippery.

roundpeg 07-20-2009 09:40 PM

Thanks kaplods,

I'll have to try that, I love me some crunch!

ennay 07-20-2009 09:42 PM

I did salt them lightly I did not presoak. I do use a dehydrator. I liked them crumbled on my salad. Dill sounds good, I think I have some

kaplods 07-20-2009 09:49 PM

They're best (crispiest) the day they're dehyrdated (unless maybe you live in a dry climate.), so I generally don't dry huge batches at a time. After a few days, they get a bit chewier than crispy.

Even at their crispiest, the first bite is crispy like a chip, but as you chew it does start to soften into a chewy finish. I can't think of anything to compare it to, it's unique to zucchini (and maybe other dehydrated not fried veggie chips). When I made them for the first time (I was a teenager, using my parents Ronco dehydrator without a fan), I wasn't sure I liked that chewiness, but it grew on me. It definitely satisfied chip cravings.

CyndiM 07-21-2009 12:53 PM

I don't presoak, just slice, sprinkle (conservatively!) and dry. I have a vacuum sealer so I make enough for the whole winter. Without that though they are moisture magnets as Kaplods said.

I also dry shredded zucchini and eggplant chunks to mix into stews and soups in the winter. Both just disintegrate into the food but add nutrients and bulk.

anuh 07-21-2009 01:13 PM

wow that is a good idea!! I was just asking my dad if you could freeze them, cuz i do alot of canning, but I was thinking they would come out sogging if you froze them (he said they did). But that is a good idea, other than the normal making relish out of them.