Snacks

• I am just curious as to what others eat for snacks. Please share .

For me, I tend to like yogurt and fruit a lot.
  • Here are some things that immediately come to mind:

lf ricotta w/frozen raspberries
    0% greek yogurt w/fresh fruit & drizzle of honey
    wasa cracker with laughing cow cheese, maybe a slice of deli meat too
    banana w/almond butter & drizzle of honey
    toasted rye bread with jam or pumpkin butter
    raw sugar snap peas used to scoop up a laughing cow
    hot tea with whole milk
    hard boiled egg
    handful of nuts
  • My favourite is air popped popcorn, then plain yoghurt & fruit (esp. raspberries) and when the mood hits a small square of low fat cheese.
  • Thank you so much! I am looking for new things to try and I am definitely liking what you posted
  • I snack on yogurt, hummus and veggies, and fruit. I make my own hummus, so the flavor is different every week.
  • I've never had hummus. To be honest, I really don't have a clue what it is. Guess it's google time for me
  • I LOVE fresh fruit. That and veggies (especially carrots, or steamed brocolli with a TB of ranch) are usually what I reach for. A few other favorites:
    1 or 2 hundred calories of unsalted, oil free almonds.
    Slice of cheese.
    Yogurt.
  • Every day at 10 AM I have a juicy red apple and 12 almonds. Really filling and lasts until even the latest lunch. Some afternoons I will have air popped popcorn if I had a lite lunch or dinner will be late, but only once or twice a week.
  • Quote: I've never had hummus. To be honest, I really don't have a clue what it is. Guess it's google time for me
    It's awesomesauce. A spoonful of goodness! I make mine with very little olive oil, and grind it with some of the juice from the beans, and it's a party in my mouth. My standby is horseradish hummus - even people at work who would NEVER eat hummus if they knew what it was love my "horseradish stuff" and beg me to bring some in.
  • Now you got me really curious. I guess I need to find some recipes, thanks
  • It's super easy to make. A clove or two of garlic, pulse in the food processor. Add beans (drained, reserve juice), a tablespoon of tahini, pinch of salt, juice from 1/2 - 1 lemon, and whatever you're going to season it with. Some good ones are a bunch of horseradish, 1/2 a jar of roasted red peppers, or a head of roasted garlic. Whir it all up in the processor, and add juice/olive oil until it's a little looser than a paste but not runny.
  • -Danon Light and Fit yogurt with 1/4 cup Fiber One cereal mixed in
    -Veggie platter with baby carrots, sugar snap peas, green beans, grape tomatoes with a red pepper dip
    -Cucumber Salad
    -Tomato, cucumber, red onion salad
    -egg white omlette with sauteed veggies
    -peach
    -sliced apple, not in wedges, but in rounds, paper thin, sprinkled with a little cinnamon
    -berries - depending on what's available at the best prices - blackberries, blueberries, strawberries and/or raspberries.
    -broiled zucchini and tomato slices with oregano and garlic and a sprinkle of parmesean cheese

Here's a slew of wonderful hummus recipes:

http://mideastfood.about.com/od/midd.../hummus101.htm

Low-Fat Hummus

1 (15-ounce can) garbanzo beans (chick peas)
    1 tablespoon low-fat (reduced fat) peanut butter
    1/3 cup fresh-squeezed lemon juice
    1 to 2 cloves garlic, minced
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/2 cup warm water or garbanzo bean liquid
    1/4 cup finely minced parsley leaves
    1 teaspoon sesame seed oil
    1 tablespoon ground sumac or paprika for garnish

Drain garbanzo beans and set aside liquid from the can.

In a food processor or blender, place garbanzo beans, peanut butter, lemon juice, garlic, cumin, and salt. Add either 1/4 to 1/2 cup warm water or garbanzo beans liquid (depending on how thick on want your hummus); blend approximately 3 to 5 minutes until pureed. Taste and adjust seasonings to your liking.

Remove to bowl; mix in parsley and sesame seed oil. Refrigerate for several hours before serving.

VARIATION: For an interesting variation, substitute black beans or cannellini beans (Northern beans). Also substitute minced basil leaves for the parsley. Four ounces of minced roasted peppers may also be added.

Makes approximately 1 1/2 cups or 6 servings.
    Serving size = 1/4 cup

Hummus with Yogurt

This easy hummus recipe replaces most of the traditional tahini with yogurt.

Ingredients:

* 1 15 oz can of chickpeas or garbanzo beans, drained (save liquid)
    * 1-2 cloves garlic, crushed
    * 1 tablespoon lemon juice
    * 1 tablespoon tahini, or low fat peanut butter if you prefer (optional, but if you do not use, increase yogurt by 1 TBLS
    * 1/2 cup plain yogurt
    * 1 teaspoon salt

Preparation:
    In a food processor combine beans, tahini (if desired), yogurt, garlic, and lemon juice. Blend well. Add salt and cumin and blend to a smooth and creamy dip.

If you hummus is too thick, add a little bit of the liquid from the chickpeas - about a teaspoon at time. Other ways to thin out hummus is by using warm water or olive oil also.
  • Yay!! Thanks