Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 08-01-2009, 10:32 AM   #76  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Hyacinth... I haven't heard of this, I'll check it out today. (suppercook.com) and thanks for the tips. I love watching Hyacinth on the BBC channel but don't get to very often.. Cute picture you have of her too, she reminds me of my mother-in-law who has always looked down her nose at everyone while putting on a front of being so helpful and kind.
Quote:
Has anyone ever used supercook.com? You enter your ingredients and it searches recipes for you on the internet.
Bobbolink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 11:23 AM   #77  
Ufi
Persistence

S/C/G: 220/ticker/140

Height: 5-4

Hi. I've got an offer in on a house, so I'm joining in! The idea of eating down my stores of food kind of freaks me out. I'm already thinking about how to stock back up again. But I'll want to do so with healthy food.

I'll check out supercook.com. That sounds like it could be really helpful. I want to spend as little as possible on new food so I don't have to move the food I have now and so I have more money to buy cool stuff for my new place, if I get one.
Ufi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 08:30 AM   #78  
Bobbi

I used up some old peanuts in the freezer to make granola for hubby. I also re-hydrated some spicy tomatoes I dried out a couple of years ago and put into a crockpot full of chili. Used up a can of pinto beans and a can of kidney beans. I also snuck in two shredded zucchinis fresh from our garden. Hubby didn't know they were in the chili until I told him I had a secret ingredient in the chili. Even then he couldn't guess. We'll get a couple move meals on that so I won't be cooking tonight.
Have a blessed Sunday!
Old 08-02-2009, 09:00 PM   #79  

I made a barbecue sauce today by using up a bottle of ketchup and a bottle of mustard, along with a bunch of other ingredients.
Hyacinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 10:55 PM   #80  
Ufi
Persistence

I push some frozen bean soup stuff and rice in the fridge for the coming week's lunches.

Why do I have all of this powdered sugar?! I hardly ever use it, and I've got like three bags of the stuff. Did I get it on sale? What in the world? I feel like I should make some candy or something for someone with it.
Old 08-03-2009, 06:46 AM   #81  

S/C/G: 160/160/115

Height: 5'2"

We're pretty much moved into the new place! Well, except for most of our food... we haven't dealt with the refrigerator or freezer yet. We now have SO MUCH MORE kitchen space... if I want to stock up on canned/dry goods, I no longer have to neatly stack them 3ft high on the couple square inches of counter space that I can spare. Our old kitchen was seriously tiny. We cut back so much on dishes and appliances that now in the new kitchen, all the cupboards are half empty!

So my new challenge is to keep using up old stuff (before it gets TOO old) while re-stocking with new. This means I actually have to stay organized. We'll see how that goes!
mayness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 10:01 AM   #82  
Getting healthy again!!

S/C/G: 204/199/140

Height: 5'2.5"

I need to do this, this month. So I am starting Today.

Booklist came out for my DHs classes today and we are looking at about $400.000 for him and mine should be about the same, will find out tomorrow. So in order to keep the books from going all on the credit card we are going to try to use the stuff in the pantry and the freezer, and avoid the grocery store as much as possible.

DH is going into maintenance weight probably this week so that will add a new wrinkle, however we do have most of last seasons salmon shipment left (in-laws have a fishing site in Alaska) so it looks like we will be eating tons of Salmon.

First step is cleaning out the fridge and freezer and organizing the cabinets and writing down what we have.
Cebsme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 10:15 AM   #83  

S/C/G: 157/140/135

Height: 5'4"

On top of trying to use up older stuff, we now have stuff coming out of our garden. My sons and their girlfriends were coming for dinner yesterday, so I made a cold cucumber soup with fresh dill, a ratatouille without eggplant, since my younger son is allergic to it; an eggplant dish with a long complicated name that I can't remember; whole wheat pasta with homemade pesto (basil right out of my garden); fresh corn from the farm around the corner; and a mixed berry pie. From my freezer, I used up a container of last summer's tomatoes for the ratatouille, pine nuts for the pesto, and a package of sour cherries from my sister's tree for the pie. Most of the food was from our garden, though.
Thinfor5Minutes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 02:50 PM   #84  
Bobbi

Wow, lots of great ideas for future menus! Since we live in the middle of the country (Minnesota) we don't have fresh Salmon or seafood of any kind. We can buy it thru the grocery stores and pay a mint for fresh wild salmon. So many of the fish in our stores are farm fed junk, I wouldn't touch them, ICKY.
Tonight we're having taco salad made with Elk burger, our first ripe tomato, garden lettuce, cheese and I make my own homemade taco seasoning so a very cheap meal tonight.
Old 08-03-2009, 03:07 PM   #85  
Getting healthy again!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbolink View Post
Wow, lots of great ideas for future menus! Since we live in the middle of the country (Minnesota) we don't have fresh Salmon or seafood of any kind. We can buy it thru the grocery stores and pay a mint for fresh wild salmon. So many of the fish in our stores are farm fed junk, I wouldn't touch them, ICKY.
Tonight we're having taco salad made with Elk burger, our first ripe tomato, garden lettuce, cheese and I make my own homemade taco seasoning so a very cheap meal tonight.

Boy do I wish you could come to my house I am looking at 15 whole salmon, 4 packages of fillets and 9 pint sized cans of salmon. And now have confirmed that another 50lb box will be heading our way come September.

Well DH had a craving for tuna casserole so I used up a box of pasta, can of cream of mushroom soup, can of peas, and two cans of tuna.

Went through and organized all the can foods and started an inventory list for them. Tomorrow will be boxes.

Last edited by Cebsme; 08-03-2009 at 08:43 PM.
Old 08-04-2009, 10:16 AM   #86  

S/C/G: 157/140/135

Height: 5'4"

Smile Still plowing through....

Trying to use up stuff in the freezer so I have room to freeze garden produce when it is ready. Had some frozen waffles today; when the box is gone I will not replace it.

We ate mostly leftovers from Sunday last night. Corn on the cob, pasta with pesto, ratatouille and the eggplant dish. RF ice cream for dessert. Tonight's dinner will be more of the same. In the meantime, my sister brought me stuff from her garden: blueberries, broccoli, Japanese eggplants, cherry tomatoes, and brussels sprouts. With all of this fresh produce, all I had to buy at the store this week was two cartons of soymilk, breads (my bread machine broke, waaahhhh!) and a box of cereal that was being discontinued and was at the unbelievable price of $1.89. I spent less than $25 and am hoping I don't have to replace anything else, although my husband does go through bananas at an unbelievable rate, so will probably have to buy a bunch of those.
Thinfor5Minutes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 04:20 PM   #87  
Bobbi

I wish we had garden lettuce year around, it is so good in salads. We had the Elk taco salad last night and I was looking for a unique dressing for it. I found one on allrecipe.com that was delicious. I have dried chipotle peppers that I just hydrate so I used them in the recipe. You might want to try this on your next taco salad.
I put all ingredients in the blender for a minute or so.
8oz. fat free sour cream
1/2 cup Adobo Sauce chipotle peppers
2 Tablespoonns lime juice plus the grated rind
1/4 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon chili
1/2t. Old Bay Seasonings
Salt & Pepper to taste.

Last edited by Bobbolink; 08-04-2009 at 04:22 PM.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:57 AM   #88  
Getting healthy again!!

Using up some left over ham that's been in the freezer for oh about 8 months or so for the past couple of days. DH has been very helpful with this challenge, finding all kinds of stuff to use up, and keeping it on the list. Groceries this paycheck will consist of things that are on deep discount, and stuff to get ready for school, since most of my eating will be on the run I need some portable healthy, filling snacks. So I am going to buy some supplies to make some healthy snack bars and such.
Old 08-09-2009, 08:35 AM   #89  

I cooked the remainder of a bag of quinoa. I served it in place of rice with a vegetable curry, and I will make some quinoa pancakes for my son.

I made a vegetable stock out of a bag of vegetable scraps and some leftover tomato sauce.
Hyacinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 12:05 PM   #90  
Ufi
Persistence

I used up some turkey ham, some frozen bean soup, and some pumpkin applesauce bread.

Closing has been scheduled! If all goes well, I should be in my new place by the end of September!!