Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 05-24-2009, 01:19 AM   #1  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Default A taste of childhood

I went to our local farmers' market with hubby this morning. It's early in the season, so there wasn't a huge selection, but I picked up some tok choy (never had it before, sort of like a spicy spinach), smoked turkey breast, and rhubarb.

When my brother and I were kids, my parents always kept a garden, and we had fruit trees in the yard (an apple, pear, dwarf cherry, and two peach), and rhubarb and raspberry patches (all on a single city lot). In the summer, Mom would give us a small bowl of sugar and send us out to eat rhubarb and pick some for her to make pies or jam, warning us not to eat too much (which we always ignored, and ended up with at least a mild stomach ache or case of the poos).

Tonight, I poured a couple tablespoons of Splenda in a bowl, and ate a stalk of rhubarb, dipping it in sugar. I was smart enough not to go back for another stalk, but it was as deliciously tart-sweet as I remembered (more sour than sweet, even dipped in the sugar).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 03:48 AM   #2  
Angelina/Gerard is Love

S/C/G: 291.8/286.8/199

Height: 5'4 1/2

What is rhubarb?
JasonsLea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 08:40 AM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

I've never had rhubarb but they had it at the farmers market and all they could say is "its good for pies". I usually don't shy away from a veggie but I've seen it in the store enough that I can buy it if I want it. They also said the leaves are poisonous which I thought was weird.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 10:40 AM   #4  

Rhubarb is so tasty! I'm not a huge fan of sweets, so the tartness of rhubarb combined with the sweetness of strawberries (a typical combo in Indiana) is awesome. Unfortunately, the only items I've had rhubarb in are jam and pie, or raw, so I'm not sure what else you can do with it. It does make a very good jam, which I typically make with stevia to cut down on calories.

Rhubarb always takes me back to childhood too, my grandma always made me a rhubarb lattice pie for my birthday as a kid.

Last edited by bacilli; 05-24-2009 at 10:42 AM.
bacilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 11:11 AM   #5  
No description available.

I got curious as to what else one could do with rhubarb besides dessert stuff due to this thread and found this link of recipes:

http://www.rhubarbinfo.com/recipe-ot...#index_other_7

There are some dessert recipes, but there is a chicken & rhubarb recipe and a sweet potato/lentil/rhubarb dish.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 11:23 AM   #6  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

JasonsLea, rhubarb is the stem of a leafy plant, so technically it's a vegetable, but it's usually treated like a fruit. It is often used for pies, so much so that another name for it is pie plant. It's very tart, so most recipes calling for it, add quite a lot of sugar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
I've never had rhubarb but they had it at the farmers market and all they could say is "its good for pies". I usually don't shy away from a veggie but I've seen it in the store enough that I can buy it if I want it. They also said the leaves are poisonous which I thought was weird.
Not really so weird. The poison is oxalic acid. Oxalic acid is quite common in many plants, and usually is concentrated in the leaves. It's only toxic in very large doses. In fact, your body metabolizes Vitamin C into a small quantity of oxalic acid. There are many food plants that contain quite a bit of oxalic acid, such as tea, beans, black pepper, parsley, potatoes, peas, cabbage, poppy seed, spinach, chard, beets, beat tops, cocoa, chocolate, and most nuts and berries.

In terms of plants that contain oxalic acid, tea leaves are pretty much at the top, but because you don't eat large quantities of tea leaves, or drink 200 cups of tea in a day, you don't ingest a harmful amount of oxalic acid. If you made a salad of tea leaves, it would probably be as deadly or deadlier than one of rhubarb leaves.

Last edited by kaplods; 05-25-2009 at 12:39 AM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 11:31 AM   #7  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I wonder if we have rhubarb around here. We have excellent markets but I don't know that I have seen this. Thanks for the idea.

Like you, I also love tastes of childhood. In the summer, it was watermelon eaten outside under a pear tree.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 09:40 PM   #8  
sugar is the devil

Hm, I found a recipe for rhubarb and I made it and thought it was pretty good.

It was rhubarb strawberry chutney that goes on top of turkey breast
SweetScrumptious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 01:22 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 160/160/115

Height: 5'2"

I looove rhubarb, but my husband doesn't like it, so I've never made anything with it. I've never tried eating it plain like that, maybe I'll have to pick some up!

The one taste that would bring me back to childhood is mulberries... we had a few trees growing up (or bushes? but they're so tall..) and I would eat as many as I could reach. I think my fingers were stained all summer long. I haven't had one in years.
mayness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 04:43 PM   #10  
Isabella

S/C/G: 180/154.5/125

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

Rhubarb.. I have a patch of it in my garden. I primarily use it for jams and pies but I sometimes make a mighty good rhubarb relish with the stuff. I cut it and freeze any that I can't use right away. Then I use it during the winter. Yummmmmy. Most people pair it up with strawberries but it's also super good with blueberries in jam or a fruit crisp.
retiredone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 07:45 PM   #11  
Steps on this journey...

Height: 5'3

Mayness: you reminded me of mulberries... I haven't had any or seen the trees in probably 20-some years. Are they sold in stores? I always just picked them off the tree or bush or whatever they grow on. Summer nights... mmm
TheBabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 08:23 PM   #12  
WorkingOut!

S/C/G: 217/180/145

Height: 5'5"

My mom made strawberry rhubarb pie this weekend and it was deeeelish! Raw rhubarb was so tart but I kinda liked it.
diary is offline   Reply With Quote