Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 05-31-2009, 11:27 AM   #46  
Maintenance May 2011

S/C/G: 312/149/150

Height: 5'6"

I usually have my oatmeal fairly plain with a little bit of Whey Low D and milk (cow or unsw. almond breeze). I like cooking the individual serving of rolled oats in milk but cook my batch of steel-cut oats in water in my little 1-qt crock pot. Then I can just nuke a portion each day with a little milk & sweetener.

My latest treat is a South Beach Phase 2 recipe for steel-cut oats with dried apricots and toasted walnuts. Very tasty for a change.
mizski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 07:39 PM   #47  

S/C/G: HW:200+/LW:120/CW:142

Height: 5'1 and a 1/2" (yes the 1/2" matters!)

Yikes this is an old thread! But I found it while doing some digging for something else I'm looking for, and I figured it would be of interest to people - I feel like we're always looking for ways to mix up our oatmeal eating!

My most recent "favorite" way to eat oatmeal:
3/4 cup plain Greek yogurt (I like TJ's 2%)
1/2 cup uncooked rolled oats
1 cup berries (thawed if previously frozen)
dash cinnamon
1 tsp. vanilla

I eat it just like this - no cooking. Sounds slightly crazy, I know, but gives a nice texture to the food and slows my eating down.

Last edited by JenMusic; 01-10-2011 at 07:42 PM.
JenMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 03:09 PM   #48  

S/C/G: 186.0/186.0/140

Height: 5"6"

Hey girls, loving this thread! I have always HATED oatmeal due to the texture but love the idea of not having to cook it to eat it. So....can you tell me exactly what I can do with it and not have to cook/soak it? Think I would actually eat it this way. I have rolled oats, ground flax seed, natty peanut butter, honey, and cinnamon to work with, blueberries too. Can I make anything yummy with that?
Peaches5577 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 04:46 PM   #49  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Lots of great ideas! This morning I made my oatmeal with 1/2 cup vanilla soy milk and 1/2 cup water, 1 tablespoon or so of chopped walnuts and stirred with a cinnamon stick. If I had an apple handy, I would have grated some of that as well.
joyyoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 05:35 PM   #50  

S/C/G: 222/220/160

Height: 5'7

I like to throw in a handful of trail mix, usually from Whole Foods, and yes, often one with chocolate chips, I get my chocolate that way and don't miss it too much, I also usually throw in pumpkin seeds, that is my nut or seed of choice.
lunameower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 05:48 PM   #51  

S/C/G: 191/Ticker/140

Height: 5'3" Age 51

I know I've posted this elsewhere, but this is my fav way to eat oatmeal: Cooked with lots of cinnamon and butter flavored extract stirred in after coming off the fire, stir in frozen (unsweetened) dark cherries or blueberries. Then I add a small amount of Splenda brown sugar.

I actually make up a batch of 5 servings every Sunday evening and take a bowl to work daily. Heat it up and add the fruit and Splenda at work.
AnnieDrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 06:02 PM   #52  
On a mission

S/C/G: HW280/CW270/GW160

Height: 5'9"

I just had oatmeal this morning! I don't do the instant at all, because I can't stand the texture. I made old fashioned oats, mixed in some raisins, sliced almonds and 2 tsps of pur maple syrup. I am definitely trying some of these ideas!
vdander24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 06:42 PM   #53  

S/C/G: 243/190/150

Height: 5'4"

I don't eart oameal, but I have a 7-grain hot cereal that I eat nearly every day. I usually put 1/2 cup of almond milk, splenda and either 1 cup frozen rasp., or 1 cup frozen blueberries or 1/8 Cup of dried cranberries in. The cranberries work best if they are put in before cooking so they plump up. Robert eats old fashioned oats with either fresh fruit, butter (margarine), milk and cinnamon, or with just a serving of lowfat fruit yogurt.

Barb

Oh. and I made a pumkin oatmel the other day that was really good...even *I* liked it. The recipe is on foodnetwork.com, by Aarti Sequeira (sp?) I adapted it to be less fat and didn't add sugar or the heavy cream at serving.
angelskeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 09:37 AM   #54  

S/C/G: 357/350/180

Height: 5'10"

I read this last night..and you all made me hungry for oatmeal..LOL..so guess what I'm having for breakfast :-) OATMEAL!!

I like mine with cinnamon and a tablespoon of creamy peanut butter dropped on top and it has to sit for a while so the peanut butter melts a bit...yummy!!
Sasil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 09:58 AM   #55  

S/C/G: HW:200+/LW:120/CW:142

Height: 5'1 and a 1/2" (yes the 1/2" matters!)

I made a really filling oatmeal this morning, adapted from a Hungry Girl idea - if you use twice the amount of liquid (still keeping the oats the same) you end up with a bigger bowl. The oatmeal itself is mushier, more like hot cereal, with vey little bite or chew, but it's a ton of food and very filling.

My bowl:
1/2 cup rolled oats
1 cup water
1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
cinnamon
vanilla extract
Cook all that together on the stove for a while . . . it cooks down over 10-15 minutes, with occasional stirring.

After cooking, add:
1/2 serving frozen raspberries
1/2 serving frozen blueberries

Then stir in, or put on top:
3/4 cup Greek yogurt (I prefer 2%, but only had nonfat)

Total calories were right at 360 and it was delicious and so filling. Lots of protein, some fat, and a fruit serving.
JenMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 02:08 PM   #56  
You can DOOO IT!

S/C/G: 223/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'6"

Pumpkin, cinnamon, Truvia = pumpkin pie flavored YUMMINESS

SF Peanut butter, cut up apples = apples dipped in pb flavored YUMMINESS
misstraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 04:39 PM   #57  

S/C/G: 150/ticker/130

Height: 5'2"

I eat this almost every morning.....instant maple/brown sugar oatmeal. I add unsweetened frozen blackberries and walnuts. So very satisfying
charmtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 10:38 AM   #58  

S/C/G: 209/ticker/137

Height: 5'4.5"

I have to have my old-fashioned oatmeal every morning.

I make it with unsweetened vanilla almond milk, dried fruit bits (sun-maid brand) and 1/2 serving of vanilla protein powder.

Sometimes I add some cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla, allspice, etc to change it up a bit so I won't get tired of the flavors too quickly.

This combination of fiber and protein helps keep me filled for hours.
Silverdrmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 11:38 AM   #59  

S/C/G: 175/165/129

Height: 5'3"

MMMM - my favorite breakfast! I usually just add blueberries, a little bit of skim milk and one Stevia packet. For those that may not have tried it yet, I LOVE the McCann's Instant Irish Oatmeal - it is so yummy!
Kimberly2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 11:46 AM   #60  
No longer super size!!!

S/C/G: 282/ticker/190

Height: 6' 0"

This is a great thread!

I usually eat mine one of two ways:
With strawberries, milk, and splenda
With sliced apples, toasted walnuts, milk and cinnamon

I had it with blackberries last week, it was okay.

There are some great ideas here, I'm definitely going to try a few. I really like the idea of using yogurt to flavor the oatmeal.
grneyedmustang is offline   Reply With Quote