Breakfast Sandwich Ideas

• I love breakfast sandwiches, and I would like to hear your ideas and suggestions for making them healthier. I don't follow a particularly low-carb or low-fat diet, though I tend to make sure my carbs are whole grain with ample fiber. I need to avoid saturated fat, as well.

Bread: I usually use an Ezekiel brand sprouted-grain English muffin, but I am going to attempt to make my own English muffins one of these days. I sometimes use a firm bread, or a tortilla (for a wrap). I often make an open sandwich, to cut on calories and additional carbs.

Protein: I seem to have a hard time finding Canadian bacon, so I will either omit or add some leftover diced ham to a scrambled egg. I really prefer good ol' sausage, but I know better. I haven't tried any soy sausage products yet.

Egg: If you remove both ends of a tuna can and wash well, you can use it in your fry pan to cook your egg so it turns out nice and round. I wonder if poaching an egg would work? I sometimes use Egg Beaters, or an egg-white/egg mixture, to cut cholesterol.

Cheese: I love cheese, but sometimes I omit it. Other times, I add a small amount of parmesan.

I've even used leftover grilled vegetables in place of the meat, that's not too bad.

I love McDonalds' breakfast sandwiches, but I avoid them. I know the regular Egg McMuffin is the lesser of their delicious evils, but sometimes I can't resist while I'm in the drive-thru and end up ordering something else. Some tips on the Egg McMuffin: order it with no butter, and toss the top half of the English muffin.

And don't even get me started on Panera's egg souffles. I just have to pretend they don't exist, and I'm super-glad that they are no longer right along my work commute.

Any other breakfast-sandwich ideas out there? Thank you!
  • Have you tried veggie sausages? They are pretty good.

My favorite veggie 'burger' is a masala burger which Trader Joe's has but Dr Praegers also makes one.
  • I take a WW english muffin and spray with butter spray after toasting.Fry one egg with pam.add egg along with 1 piece lite cheddar and either 2 sl turkey bacon or canadian bacon.Very good.
  • I cook the egg white up in one of those microwave omelet pants, along with spinach , mushrooms and garlic. Put that on top of a toasted whole wheat English muffin. Add a smear of fat free cream cheese, a morningstar farms sausage patty and I've got a a yummy breakfast sandwich for about 250 calories. I always add veggies to my egg.. get as many as possible
  • I make my own breads...the latest one being a whole wheat apple bread (organic unsw. apple juice & applesauce/chopped granny smith apple) and paired it up with a chicken apple sausage link. Very tasty and portable.

I also like 2 chicken breakfast sausage links in between a toasted whole grain English muffin. A little drizzle of maple syrup (available in SF form too) is nice.

The chicken sausages are already cooked. They can be just microwaved to heat but I like to split them (fills out the bread/English better) and "fry" them in a cooking sprayed non-stick pan until slightly browned.
  • Lately I've been getting Arnold's Sandwich Thins (whole-wheat or multi-grain) to take the place of English muffins or burger buns (Thomas's Mini Squares Bagelbread are also good). Whatever I use, I toast one, spread with Laughing Cow lite Swiss, put on a few slices of turkey pepperoni (veggie pepperoni could also be good) and a dollop of salsa (Newman's Own pineapple)
  • Whole wheat English muffin with 1 egg, mozarella cheese, and one strip of Morningstar Vegan Bacon or Sausage patty. YUM!
  • miss sausage too
    I usually add sausage seasoning (used in making homemade sausage) to my breakfast sandwiches. Without the telltale grease you wont be fooled, but the taste is fairly satisfying. Sometimes I add the seasoning to ground turkey or chicken to make my own "sausage."

You can buy sausage seasoning from specialty spice catalogs/stores. But if it's Italian sausage that you are missing, that's an easy DIY mix, just black pepper and ground fennel. You might also want to add a pinch of sugar, salt, and hot pepper flakes, depending on your taste buds.

I add fennel to spaghetti sauce also.