Mix-ins for ricotta cheese

• Yep, a second thread on "mix-ins" This time it's ricotta cheese. What do you mix with ricotta for a quick snack? I have tried the following with low-fat ricotta:

Fresh blueberries and splenda - sometimes I add a little lemon zest or a squirt of lemon juice
    Cocoa powder and splenda
    Lemon juice or zest and splenda
  • I use English toffee stevia and make a parfait with SF Chocolate pudding.
    Lemon stevia with blueberries
    Orange stevia with no added sugar peaches
    Ricotta with SF strawberry jam
    Ricotta and mandrian oranges

Sometimes I just get a spoonful and eat it. I heart ricotta.
  • Am I missing something with the Ricotta? I always thought it was loaded with fat and calories. Fill me in! I love this type texture. I have been mixing fat-free cream cheese with all sorts of things but the Ricotta sounds divine.
  • Thighs be gone - You're right, regular ricotta is fattening. You can however, buy low fat (or light, can't remember what it's called) and fat free. I buy the low fat version and it is 50 calories for a 1/4 cup. While that's not super low calorie, a half cup of ricotta mixed with a half cup of blueberries is 150 calories. I count the splenda and lemon zest/juice as free. To be honest, it's not a huge serving but it is adequate for a snack or breakfast. And while I love ricotta, it's not something I would eat on its own in a large serving so the half cup is perfect.
  • Thanks Marie. I especially liked the splenda and cocoa idea!
  • Sometimes I add in a bit of sugar free jello in various flavors. But I usually just do plain splenda.

I'm going to have try the lemon juice.
  • I mix in defrosted frozen blueberries and roasted flax seed.

I mix the same stuff in with yogurt, depending on my mood.

(fat free varieties in either case)
  • 1/2 cup ricotta plus 1/2 cup canned pumpkin (35 cals), vanilla, Splenda & cinnamon to taste.
  • I used to mix mine with cocoa powder, sf torani syrup, and maybe a tsp or two of peanut butter. Of course, the way I made it, it ended up being like 200 cals, so I haven't had it in a while... haha.
  • I like it mixed with canned pineapple (pineapple sweetened in it's own juice)
  • I like mine with za'atar, which is a Middle Eastern spice blend that includes Arabic thyme, oregano, marjoram, sumac, toasted sesame, garlic and salt. Then I spread it on a toasted whole wheat pita. You can buy it at http://www.penzeys.com. The za'atar is also good on grilled meats.

Georgia
  • I like to mix mine with cocoa powder,a half cup of ricotta ,garlic and salt.
  • honey!! and sliced almonds
  • I like a spoonful dipped in warm marinara. Yum! Kinda plain, but nice.

Georgia, thanks for sharing the za'atar tip. I have a pouch of it that I haven't done anything with yet, but now I have an idea!