3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Food > Food Talk And Fabulous Finds

Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Question about Hummus....

Old 01-30-2009, 12:37 PM   #16
【☆ Chloe ☆】

S/C/G: 205.5/179/130

Height: 5'3.5"

I love hummus and ever since I started to eat healthier, this curiousity I have about it is worth it! I always get the Athenos brand from my supermarket andmy current fave is artichoke & garlic. Per serving size (2 tbsp) it only has 50 calories, 3gfat....and that one serving is enough for my baby carrots and my blue corn tortilla chips! ^^ very satisfying.
Old 01-30-2009, 12:39 PM   #17
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumifan4ever View Post
Like, i'm going to try some "Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Breeze Soymilk" because it only 30 calories for a whole cup and it's suppose to be really good in cereal and by itself and stuff like that.
I use this. However, it is NOT soy. It is almond milk. It has to be chilled. You probably won't like it if it isn't cold.

I would love to find hummus that doesn't have tahini in a premade version.

Life does not happen in a vacuum. Lifestyle changes must transcend habits and routines. - thanks midwife.

Weight loss isn't linear and the body doesn't have a timetable. - thanks Glory87.

I think I can. I think I can. I think I can. I think I can.
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 01:48 PM   #18
BELIEVE!

I haven't tried making it on my own yet because I love the store brand that I buy. It's the "Eating Right" brand - sold at Safeway/Genuardis in my area of SE PA.

The nutritional info for 2 Tablespoons is:
Cal: 45
Fat: 2g
Carb: 5g
Fiber: 1g
Protien: 2g

I use it as a snack with baby carrots.
BarbPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 02:33 PM   #19

S/C/G: 196/160/125

Height: 5'5"

cbmare...ooops. I guess i'm still learning about soymilk and almond milk. I wonder if it's made out of almonds? I don't like almonds but i heard the milk tasted very good. I'm hoping that my whole family will like it and it will be a good substitute to go with our cereal to make it less calories and still healthy.

BarbPa...everyone has these great stores like Safeway and TraderJoes. We don't seem to have anything like that in my SC/GA area. I have an EarthFare store that has lots of organic foods but it's too pricey for me to go shop at. Don't know if they carry anything special besides organic stuff but no sense in going in there. But i definately am going to give this recipe a try. It sound really close to the ingrediants on the package of hummus i got yesterday (minus the oils).

http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJ...r=lumifan4ever
lumifan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 02:52 PM   #20
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/202/182

Height: 5'6"

Almond milk is good and doesn't taste like almonds. I'd say try it for yourself. How you make almond milk is basically you soak almonds, grind them up and then use a filter (such as a cheesecloth) to separate out the pulp from the 'milk'. I've never made it myself but its cheap enough to buy and almonds are expensive and I'm lazy
Old 01-30-2009, 03:22 PM   #21
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

I think it does have a bit of a nutty flavor. It is extremely subtle.

Have you looked at Aldi's? I would love it if they would expand to the west coast. They are really spreading out in New England.

Life does not happen in a vacuum. Lifestyle changes must transcend habits and routines. - thanks midwife.

Weight loss isn't linear and the body doesn't have a timetable. - thanks Glory87.

I think I can. I think I can. I think I can. I think I can.
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 05:03 PM   #22
Used to be Archy

S/C/G: 220/171/145

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
Almond milk is good and doesn't taste like almonds. I'd say try it for yourself. How you make almond milk is basically you soak almonds, grind them up and then use a filter (such as a cheesecloth) to separate out the pulp from the 'milk'. I've never made it myself but its cheap enough to buy and almonds are expensive and I'm lazy
My sister works for a water district in Central California and the farmers give her almonds by the buckets. I brought back two 20 pound bags full of almonds and made almond milk last weekend. Soak, grind, and filter.

I think it's disgusting warm, and I don't think you can really cook with it. But, it goes well with my oatmeal, and really, how many almonds can you really eat in a day?

February Tri Challenge COMPLETED!
Eves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 05:12 PM   #23
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eves
and really, how many almonds can you really eat in a day?
In my case there is no upper limit...

Hey Eves!

Jay
Old 01-30-2009, 05:25 PM   #24
Just Me

Welcome back Eves! Yeah I can eat a lot of almonds.
Old 01-30-2009, 11:32 PM   #25
Used to be Archy

S/C/G: 220/171/145

Height: 5'4

Nelie and Jay, never work for a Central California water district then. It's buckets of peanuts and pistachios every week. My sister has started just taking them to the homeless shelter on her way home.

Peanuts and pecans are my weakness, though. Oooooh, they're so good!

February Tri Challenge COMPLETED!
Eves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 12:12 AM   #26
unabashed

S/C/G: 299/see ticker/149

Height: 5'5

Okay, so someone mentioned making hummus out of other beans.

I like the IDEA of hummus but am not a huge chickpea fan.

I made some black bean garlic hummus tonight and it is way better than anything I have EVAR bought in the store and much betta in general than chickpeas. But I have a serious love of black beans.

lottie63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 12:56 AM   #27
Boston Qualifier and MOM

S/C/G: 186/see ticker/?

Height: 5'3.75"

Hummus freezes pretty well. I usually make 2 cans of garbanzo beans worth at a time. Then thaw in the fridge(no nukes!) and stir and its just fine.

Almond milk is a good replacement for cream or creamer in coffee...a lot of richness without many calories.

My before/after pics

Last edited by ennay : 01-31-2009 at 12:58 AM.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 06:09 AM   #28

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I prefer black beans too but have used almost anything ... pinto beans ...

You'll be surprised how much you don't miss grain.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 08:38 AM   #29
Just Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eves View Post
Nelie and Jay, never work for a Central California water district then. It's buckets of peanuts and pistachios every week. My sister has started just taking them to the homeless shelter on her way home.

Peanuts and pecans are my weakness, though. Oooooh, they're so good!
I am majorly jealous. My stepfather used to live in the Fresno valley and he has stories about picking pecans when he was a teenager and how many pecans they would take home...

My favorite nut though is walnuts.
Old 01-31-2009, 08:49 AM   #30

S/C/G: 152/115/120

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumifan4ever View Post
Thanks guys. I did go to my favorite recipe site, recipezaar.com and looked up a roasted red pepper hummus. It looks pretty easy to make and i have alot of the stuff already on hand. all i have to buy is the roasted red peppers in the jar, garbanzo beans and tahini stuff. so, maybe i can make some at home that will taste just as good. and it says only 84 calories per serving, 2 grams fat...and it makes 8 servings. I thought it might be good for our superbowl spread.
I loooove hummus. As a protein, it is low-calorie and very nutritious--my usual serving is about 2 or 3 tablespoons. I like adding tahini--the jar isn't cheap, but you can make many bacthes of hummus with one jar of tahini. I think I will add chipotle peppers to my next batch. Yum!

Roasted red peppers are really easy to make! I find store-bought ones a little expensive for what you get. The most time-consuming parts are cleaning the peppers (2 min) and peeling off the skins (2 min). Total maybe 20 minutes, with only 4 or 5 minutes of hands-on work.

Roasted Red Peppers
Only one ingredient: as many peppers as you want!
Clean the peppers, and cut so that they are more-or-less rectangular pieces that will lay more-or-less flat. Lay skin-side up on a cookie tray or oven-proof frying pan. Turn on the broiler, put the peppers in the oven--I put them on the middle rack because I'm always 'mutli-tasking' and I tend to burn them when they're on the top. Keep an eye on the peppers--I leave the over door open but stay within eyesight of the oven (you could easily do other food prep or cooking in the kitchen while you watch). However, they do go from good to burnt in about 30 seconds, so be careful. When the skin is bubbling and starting to brown, take them out of the oven and --this is the trick--put them in a plastic bag. The steam will loosen the skin from the flesh of the pepper, and make it easy to peel off the skin. I let them steam until they are cool enough to handle, and just use my fingers to peel of the skin. And done!
Currently 23% (according to my scale)

Self-love, my liege, is not so vile a sin,
As self-neglecting.
--Dauphin in Henry V, by Shakepeare
nakedmango is offline   Reply With Quote
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.