To barley, or not to barley

• that is the question.

My mom likes to make WHITE RICE with the meals she makes. I was thinking I could eat barley instead of the rice? I don't know too much about he stuff, and was wondering if there are any benefits from eating it? Is it a good thing to use instead?
  • Barley's great, it's a whole grain. I admit, I've only used it in soups/stews/casseroles, I've never eaten it on its own as a side dish in its own right.

If you're tired of plain white rice, you can also try:

* Brown rice
    * Polenta (made with ground corn, which is also a whole grain). You can eat it kind of soft. I like to buy the stuff in the tube and pan fry it with a little PAM until it's crispy (I finish it off under the broiler for a minute or two for extra crispiness)
    * Quinoa (pronounced keen-wa), one of the only vegetables that is a complete protein containing all amino acids, it has a nutty taste and a cute little "tail" on each grain
    * Whole grain couscous - it's actually a pasta, it cooks super fast which I like
    * Wild rice - not actually a rice at all, it's a grass (!) but nutty and yummy

Another great side dish is a baked sweet potato. One of my absolute favorite things to eat. I bake them in the oven for over an hour, so they get really soft and the skin caramelizes with all the sugar. I won't go so far as to say it tastes like dessert, but it tastes really sweet and delicious to me.

You could also cube up some summer squash and saute it with a little olive oil and garlic!

benefits of barley
  • Barley is an awesome grain! I love it.

there are tons of grains that are better for you and aren't stripped of nutrients and fiber like white rice.

Quinoa, amaranth, barley, whole wheat couscous, brown rice, millet, etc.
  • Yeh... I feel guilty when I eat white rice! lol I am going to start with barley and work my way around the other suggestions you guys have made. I am sure I can spice up the plain barley with spices and other tricks I have up my sleeve so it's never bland.
  • I'm pretty much a whole foods nut and I eat white rice occasionally - at least once a week at Chipotle (which I love). It's not the BEST thing to eat, but it's not terrible either. Definitely nothing to feel guilty about