Spaghetti Squash??

You're on Page 2 of 2
Go to
  • You know what reminds me of pasta? Yellow beans. I think that's what they're called...

I throw them into a tofu stir fry with tomato puree and it reminds me so much of pasta.

• Yellow wax beans, I love them. And yes, it looks a lot like pasta, especially if you cut them julienne style. I have an old bean bean slicer just for doing that.
  • Ooh a bean slicer - sounds neat. Do you have any favoured ways of preparing them, recidivist?
  • No not really. I just like them steamed and yet crisp, or added to stir fry.

the green bean slicer is an antique, and hand crank metal gizmo made in Germany. I had it for years without knowing what it was even for. Just kept it cause it was cute. It's great for making a beautiful colorful stir fry dish though. I run green beans, carrots, celery, and bell pepper strips through it so I have a mix of beautiful colors all in the long skinny shapes. I don't do it often though...it's a lot of work. Green beans go through it better than other veggies and take less prep time.

Stir fry is so much fun to play with. Can you tell I love to play with my food?
  • A pan is like a canvas...the chef is the artist and the ingredients are the paint!

It's awesome you like to play with your food - whatever stops one from getting bored with food choices can't be a bad thing
  • Any recipes?
    I just had it for dinner tonight and will have leftovers for lunch tomorrow. Does anyone have any good recipes for it other than with sauce?
  • Cooperistic:
    Don't know why, but when I made spaghetti squash, it reminded me of potatoes. Instead of pasta sauce the next day, I microwaved it as mentioned above, then I put a little olive oil in a skillet and sauteed some onions. Threw the squash strands on top and cooked until crispy. I called them Squash Browns. Pretty tasty, if I do say so myself . (Note to self: add spaghetti squash to shopping list.)
  • Quote: Don't know why, but when I made spaghetti squash, it reminded me of potatoes. Instead of pasta sauce the next day, I microwaved it as mentioned above, then I put a little olive oil in a skillet and sauteed some onions. Threw the squash strands on top and cooked until crispy. I called them Squash Browns.
    Nice idea
  • Quote: I put a little olive oil in a skillet and sauteed some onions. Threw the squash strands on top and cooked until crispy. I called them Squash Browns. Pretty tasty, if I do say so myself .
    That sounds so good. The next one is getting hashed.

Usually I just pierce it a few times and toss in the microwave until soft. I top it with a tsp of Smart Balance and sprinkle on some nutritional yeast and pepper.