Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 01-07-2009, 10:47 PM   #1  

Question Could you help me figure the calories for this??

I hope this is the right place to put this, if not please move it.
I want to eat what my family is eating tomorrow night, so I was going to make something healthy called Taco Soup. I am doing CC, and I need to know how many calories and fat grams this would have in a 1 cup,8oz serving.
Here is what I will put in it........

Calories Fat Grams
2 lbs Ground White Turkey 880 8
1 Can Corn 280 3.5
1 Can Kidney Beans 350 0
1 Can Pinto Beans 300 0
1 Can Red Beans 300 0
1 Can Bl. Soy Beans 420 21
Lrg. Can Diced Tomatoes 245 0
Lrg. Can Crushed Tomatoes 280 0
Pkt of Organic Ranch 80 0
Pkt of Organic Taco Season 120 0
Total Calories= 3,255 fat=32.5

There you have it =)
I haven't mixed everything together so I don't know how much everything weighs. Would that make a difference? I want 8 oz for my supper, or if it's too many calories, I may eat something else. I just get tired of eating something different than what my family is eating =(
Cathy
cathyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 11:11 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

I would measure how much volume is in the recipe after you make it and then divide the calories by however many cups you get. It's hard to know how much it's going to make just looking at a recipe, although I would think that it would at least make 10-12 cups, if not more.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 11:19 PM   #3  
Registered Nut

S/C/G: 325/325/150

Height: 5'6"

Find a two-cup measuring cup and measure it before you serve, then divide by the total calories. Good luck!
RN BSN 2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 08:47 PM   #4  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

I often look at the amount of protein in a recipe to guestimate how many servings it should be (or whether a serving will be filling enough for me). For a recipe like this, with lots of other ingredients, I would expect 4 oz of meat to be plenty for a single serving. You've got 2 lbs of turkey going into it, so right there the recipe should easily be eight servings, which would be about 400 calories a serving, completely doable on most diets. On top of that, you've got four (count 'em, thats four!!) cans of beans going into it. All those beans have protein too, so, with all of them in the casserole, I seriously doubt you'd need 4 oz of turkey per serving to feel full and satisfied. My guess is that eight servings is actually too few. You could probably divide the soup into ten or twelve servings, which would make the calories per serving even lower.

You haven't listed how many grams of protein are in the total recipe, but that can also help determine the serving size. I generally like my dinner to have 20 to 25g of protein. With all those beans, this is going to be a really high protein dinner, so I'd probably assume 25g of protein per serving. Take the total protein, divide by 25 and that might be another way of figuring out how many servings it should be. Then you can divide the number of servings into the total calories to figure out the calories per serving.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 09:11 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Total up the number of calories and divide by the number of servings. Looks like this recipe would be about 407 calories per serving.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote