Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 12-31-2008, 12:25 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 214/Ticker/130

Height: 5' 5.5", age 59

Photochick, I am shopping challenged here in rural Oregon. I do have a cash and carry about 40 miles away but don't often visit that town. I do try to stock up on things when I'm there. You can sometimes get great prices on bulk nuts, but the last time I looked at almonds, they were beyond my reach. I could do it now though. And I'm not sure I've ever seen blueberries there. I'll have to check the next time I go. They do have great produce, but not as varied as a supermarket. I like blueberries fresh. And they are so good for you. Does everyone know that capers are really good for you too? They are good on red meats.
recidivist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 12:29 AM   #17  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

recidivist,

I make my hummus in a food processor and then shape them into patties. I pat them with the tiniest amount of whole wheat flour and cook in nonstick skillet. If you freeze them in wax paper first, you can even grill them.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 12:47 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 214/Ticker/130

Height: 5' 5.5", age 59

Thanks.

Hey, I just got another snack idea to try from another post that mentions the fourteen superfoods. I looked that up and it mentioned pumpkin (or butternut squash) as one of the 14, and suggested that steamed pumkin (not from a can) served with ricotta cheese makes a great snack. I'll have to try that.

Oh, and one other tip...when I feel I absolutely have to have something sweet and chocolatey, I eat an Altoids mint dipped in dark chocolate. Two mints is only 15 calories in the Creme de Menthe flavor. And they have that intense flavor plus the decadence of chocolate.

Last edited by recidivist; 12-31-2008 at 12:51 AM.
recidivist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 09:23 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
get some low fat crackers
Wasa Crackers. They're a Swedish cracker I think (or Finnish? I don't remember.) also called a crispbread. You can find them in most grocery stores - they're in paper wrapping, rather than a box. They're really good, really crisp, and very low cal. I get the whole grain ones and I think it's 35 cals a cracker?

Here you go: http://us.wasa.com/Pages/WasaProducts-MultiGrain.aspx
(45 cals a cracker - but they're big crackers)

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 10:57 PM   #20  
just me

S/C/G: 327/277/185

Height: 6'1"

I also like to drain a can of tuna packed in water, cut up a nice ripe tomatoe and mix together. spread 1/2 on a pita for a great snack. no mayo needed for this yummy treat.
wickky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 01:49 PM   #21  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

OT a bit, but could you please tell me what HUMMUS is made of; I mean, the main ingredients. Snacking is my biggest problem, so I'm always looking for some new ideas. Thanks ...

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 01-01-2009 at 01:50 PM.
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 01:56 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justwant2Bhealthy View Post
OT a bit, but could you please tell me what HUMMUS is made of; I mean, the main ingredients. Snacking is my biggest problem, so I'm always looking for some new ideas. Thanks ...
Primarily chickpeas, tahini (sesame seed butter), olive oil, lemon juice, garlic. Plus many, many variations
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote