3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Food Talk And Fabulous Finds (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds-17/)
-   -   Too good to be true snack? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds/154295-too-good-true-snack.html)

beth4365 10-17-2008 04:00 PM

Too good to be true snack?

Hi all,

I'm working hard trying to learn what I can about healthy foods. I found something new today at Trader Joes and it just seems like there must be something wrong with it!

It is called Fiberful. It was .59 cents. The only flavor I saw was apricot, but if you like apricot, it is delicious. It's like a fruit leather.

Here is some of the nuturition info.

60 calories
0% fat, cholesterol
5 mg sodium
14 grams carb
6 grams fiber
8 grams sugar
1 gram protein

Its ingredients are: Dried Fruits from fresh pulp (apple, apricot, nectarine), psyllium husk, flaxseed meal, soy protein, soy grit, fibre sweet fibre (inulin), ascorbic acid (vitamin c) -A product of New Zealand

I'm just always struggling to get enough fiber into my diet. This just 'seems' perfect.... but.. is there something I'm missing?

Thanks for any input.

mandalinn82 10-17-2008 04:12 PM

The fiber comes from the combo of the fruit and added fibers (inulin and psyllium). No added sugars, which is a plus.

Negatives, for me, would be the fairly low volume for the 60 calories. 60 calories gets you two cups of broccoli, and that'd have 5 grams of fiber (and there's two cups of food there, rather than a thin little sheet of dried fruit).

2 cups of broccoli aren't as portable as that, though, and raw veggies aren't to everyones taste.

LindaT 10-17-2008 04:22 PM

I eat these a couple of tiems a week as a "dessert" after lunch. I like them. I eat these mostly to get the extra fiber. I cannot digest raw fruits or veggies, so this works out well for me as a fiber supplement
I like the berry one best myself.

beth4365 10-17-2008 05:50 PM

I *knew* this was the place to come!

Thanks mandalinn82 and LindaT!

I think I'll keep a few on hand for the times I need a grab and go solution for fiber. Not an everyday kinda thing.

Thanks again, ladies.

rubbytummy 10-17-2008 06:04 PM

pssst, beth, if you're in the market to boost your fiber and looking for grab and go solutions, next time you're at Trader Joe's, you might also want to check out Gnu Fiber & Flavor bars. They're pretty friggin' tasty for bars, about 130 calories and have 12 grams of fiber. Obviously bars aren't a great idea for an everyday nosh, but I always keep one or two of these in my car in case I hit bad traffic and am starving. They're my favorite go-to car-or-purse-stash snack.

BlueToBlue 10-17-2008 09:10 PM

The inulin would be a negative for me. According to the July/August 2008 issue of Nutrition Action Newsletter, inulin isn't a great source of fiber. Inulin is one of a whole bunch of fiber additives that are included in food to boost the fiber content while adding minimal calories, but none of these additives have been shown to have the same benefits as eating food that is naturally high in fiber. But the psyllium husk and flaxseed meal (and maybe the soy grit) are also adding fiber and are higher on the ingredient list than the inulin, so the Fiberful might still be a good source of fiber, despite the inulin.

And I agree with Mandalinn that volume of food for my calorie buck would be another negative, for me at least. I like my snacks to be bigger.

beth4365 10-18-2008 02:30 PM

Thank you rubbytummy, I'll check those out next time I'm at Trader Joes.

Barbara, thank you so much for looking in and responding. I read you whenever I see you because you seem to know so much helpful information.

And, okay, now I need to post a thread on "big snacks". :grin:

Thanks so much, ladies!

TammySmiley 10-19-2008 08:39 PM

Ohhh, sounds so delicious.
I think it is an excellent "pick me up" snack, or sweet little desert after a "slimming" meal.

PhotoChick 10-19-2008 08:46 PM

I think it would make a great sweet treat when you just needed something like that. I'm with Manda, though, in that it wouldn't be enough volume to satisfy me for a full snack. :)

littlelilly 10-20-2008 06:19 PM

I think it would make a good treat for you when you are on the run, but I also like to eat in more filling portions. Might be able to bring something in a zip lock bag that is easy to carry too.