fat free cheese?

You're on Page 2 of 2
Go to
  • Personally, I've always found 2% Reduced-Fat cheese to be pretty good, like Kraft and Borden.
  • Another great post.... It looks like I've been wrong and just might be able to eat cheese. Just need to find the right one!

Thanks for the post!
  • I LOVE the Presidente brand of fat-free feta. To me it tast EXACTLY like "real" feta. I use in salads, omelettes, tacos, etc.
  • Hear, Hear, the Cabot 75% Reduced Fat Cheddar is great!! I absolutely adore cheese, it's something I refuse to deny myself....and I agree with everyone else, ff cheese is pretty gross...it doesn't melt like "real" cheese, and the flavor is just too "off" for me. But reduced fat cheese is good. For good ol' "cheese and crackers" I used the Reduced Fat Cabot cheddar and kashi whole grain crackers. I even use the Cabot RF cheese in homemade mac n cheese, in sandwiches, etc. Also, the Laughing Cow cheese spread is really good too. I like the garlic-herb variety on whole grain crackers for a snack. The 2% cheese sticks from Kraft and Sargento are great too, but those are a little too high in points for my daily points budget.

Sometimes I just have full-fat cheese if it's in a special meal, or if it's on a weekend when I used my Flex points.
  • Webrover, I've eaten the laughing cow plain. It's not like cream cheese at all IMO. It's more like a regular cheese, but super creamy, if that makes sense.
  • I used to love ff cheese (of course, we were raised on pretty much ff dairy). Smartbeat was my fave. I cut it out when I cut out processed foods.
  • Interesting article regarding full-fat cheese
    http://www.menshealth.com/mhlists/he...eese/index.php

• Quote: Interesting article regarding full-fat cheese
    http://www.menshealth.com/mhlists/he...eese/index.php

Hmm, interesting article. Thanks for posting.
  • I tried the Cabot 75% Reduced Fat Cheddar, and I thought it was so tasteless. I'm glad it's working for other peopl.
  • I buy shredded sargento reduced fat 2% cheeses for cooking for for my "tuna melts". But when I am eating it plain or with cheese and crackers I really prefer the full fat medium cheddar. THe difference of the ones I use is 110cals for 1in cube for full fat vs. 80 cals for in cube of 2% reduced fat so the difference is not really that great. Sometime when I'm REALLY craving cheese I cut a one-inch cube and just eat it. It does the trick!

And I think apple and cheese is a VERY healthy snack, just make sure you stick to serving sizes!
  • Quote: I've only eaten the laughing cow cheese wedges spread on something. Barbara, it sounds like you might eat them straight but I may be reading that into your description. I guess it seems to me it would be like eating cream cheese alone, which doesn't appeal to me. Does anyone eat the wedges without spreading them on something?
    No, I don't eat the wedges straight. I have heard that some people eat them that way, but I don't really like them that way. I spread them on something (like a low carb wrap or an sandwich), dip something in them (like apple slices), or cook with them (omelets, pasta, squash, etc.). So even though I don't eat them straight, I have lots of different ways to incorporate them into my meals and snacks.

I will eat the Laughing Cow cheese bites straight (the little cubes of cheese).
  • Cabots reduced fat white cheddar is great. Laughing cow wedges are good spread on an apple slice or celery stick. Also, considering those bricks are usually 8 oz. bricks.....you probably didn't eat as much as you think you did.

Apples and cheese are a great snack...I usually have half an apple and an oz. of cheese for a snack in the afternoon. It really cuts the sweets cravings and the protein helps keep me full until dinner.

All in moderation, dear.
  • Jersey Girl - interesting article.
    "when men ate a whopping 10 daily 1-ounce servings of full-fat cheese for 3 weeks"

Is that really saying 10 1 oz servings a day? 10 ounces of cheese. More than a block? 1000+ calories a day from cheese????

Thanks also to BlueToBlue and Stacy for the responses on the laughing cow.
  • Quote: Jersey Girl - interesting article.
    "when men ate a whopping 10 daily 1-ounce servings of full-fat cheese for 3 weeks"

Is that really saying 10 1 oz servings a day? 10 ounces of cheese. More than a block? 1000+ calories a day from cheese????
    Eh, it's impossible to tell what that study consisted of.