3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Food Talk And Fabulous Finds (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds-17/)
-   -   Spaghetti Squash? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds/153942-spaghetti-squash.html)

JennyG 10-13-2008 08:01 AM

Spaghetti Squash?

Hey! I am wanting to find a way to get more sqaush into my diet, and I was thinking about trying spaghetti squash? Has anyone tried it and can give me some ideas what to do with it? Thanks!!

midwife 10-13-2008 09:31 AM

I eat mine with ground turkey and tomato sauce that has been bulked up with a ton of veggies---basicly I replace the pasta with the squash. I read a recipe yesterday that called for spaghetti squash to be baked with a jack cheese/jalapeno sauce (steam jalapenos in milk, strain the peppers out of the milk and use the jalapeno infused milk in a roux with jack cheese). :drool: More squash and less cheese sauce would be a good strategy for calorie control. I am fond of spaghetti squash. I've been known to have it mixed with other veggies and some beans.

PhotoChick 10-13-2008 10:21 AM

I like mine just cooked plain with a little butter and salt and pepper.

Another thing I do with it is steam it until I can fork out strings, and then lightly saute those in olive oil with mushrooms, onions, garlic, and some chopped veggies.

I don't like it cooked until it's completely mushy though. I like it when it still has a little "crunch" left.

DianaG 10-13-2008 10:38 AM

Hi. I'm diabetic and every time I want spaghetti I use spaghetti squash instead. It is great with homemade marinara sauce with lots of garlic. Basically if any of my recipes call for spaghetti or linguini I use spaghetti squash instead.:)

I also used to make it with butter and cinnamon for a treat, but I do not do that anymore since I am watching calories.

shannonmb 10-13-2008 10:44 AM

Yummy! I love all squashes, and I like to use spaghetti squash as my pasta, too! You can have a little more of a serving for lots less calories than pasta! Of course it's not exactly the same, but a totally worthy substitute!

Best of luck!!

RangerChic 10-13-2008 11:27 AM

I've been wondering about this, how it tastes compared to spaghetti and how hard it was to cook. I know it's popular for the contestants on the BL.

peachcake 10-13-2008 12:01 PM

It's not hard to cook. I slice it in half and place it skin up in a little water and either bake or microwave until it's tender. I like it with a little marinara and ricottaand parmesean cheese, oh... and LOTS of garlic!

peachcake 10-13-2008 12:03 PM

And I don't think it tastes anything liek spaghetti, it doesn't have a whole lot of flavor though. Some squash like Acorn has more of a specific flavor. I think you'll like it if you don't expect it to taste just like spaghetti.

PhotoChick 10-13-2008 12:04 PM

It is super easy to cook, but I don't think it tastes anything like pasta. Nor is the texture like pasta.

It's really yummy for what it is, but I wouldn't go into it looking for a pasta substitute.

BlueToBlue 10-14-2008 03:10 AM

I agree that it doesn't taste like spaghetti, but I do use it as a pasta substitute and I really like it that way. I will buy a couple of big squashes, bake them and then store the cooked squash in the fridge to use in my lunches and dinners all week.

One of my favorite ways to eat it is to top it with pasta sauce and one link of turkey sausage.

Last week I had Cooking Light's Pork Ragout (I used pork tenderloin instead of the boned pork loin) over spaghetti squash. It was pretty tasty.

Here is what I've been eating for my lunch this week:

Spaghetti Squash with Chicken and Fall Vegetable Saute
  • 4 oz chicken breast, pounded to one quarter inch thick
  • celery salt to taste
  • 8 oz mixed diced vegetables and/or fruit (you can use whatever you like, I've been using a mixture of celery, onion, mushrooms, spinach, and figs)
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • pepper to taste
  • red wine vinegar or chicken broth
  • 8 oz cooked spaghetti squash
  • 1 oz reduced fat spreadable cheese (such as a Laughing Cow Wedge)
  • salt to taste

Spray non-stick skillet with cooking spray and heat over med-high. Lightly season chicken breast with celery salt and add to skillet. Saute until cooked through, flipping once (the chicken will cook very quickly, in about 5 min or less).

Remove chicken from pan, respray skillet with cooking spray and add vegetables, garlic, and pepper to taste. Saute until tender. If the pan gets too dry add a splash of vinegar or chicken broth. When the vegetables are just about done, add chicken back to the pan and cook until heated through.

If spaghetti squash is cold, heat it in the microwave. Stir in the spreadable cheese and salt to taste. Top squash with chicken and then top the chicken with the vegetable mixture.

This makes one serving at about 300 calories, depending on the types of vegetables/fruit that you use.

thevillageghost 10-24-2008 06:50 PM

It's a little nutty tasting, but it's good with parmesean cheese. And, it's really fun to fork out the little "noodles".

JennyG 10-24-2008 07:16 PM

Hey everyone! Thanks for feedback, I tried it with just butter and pepper so far, and I love it!! One whole small size spaghetti squash does me for like a whole week, I just use it as a side to most my meals, and I find a distint taste to it, but I adjusted to it quickly. I plan on trying more things to it, and I usually cook it in the microwave, so I think next time I will try the oven!! Thanks again!

http://www.3fatchicks.net/img/bar008...5/175/211/.png

its4me 10-26-2008 08:30 PM

These sound really great. I have added them to my try list. Thanks.

luvja 10-29-2008 05:06 PM

This is yummy stuff :) I just had it for the first time tonight.
I just cooked the squash in the microwave, then added low fat mozzerella cheese, canned tomato chunks, canned mushrooms, and a little spinach. And added 4 big garlic shrimps on the side :drool:.
Wonderful meal. I will totally be buying spaghetti squash again!

peachcake 10-29-2008 05:37 PM

I'm thinkin I need to go buy me a spaghetti squash!!!