Pizza Crust Alternatives

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I'm looking for a low low calorie alternative for a pizza crust. Right now I have a couple large portabella mushroom caps to try. Anyone out there have another idea? Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions!
  • I love using a whole wheat pita as the crust. Perfect size! Even my little girl likes it this way, and we have fun with "make your own pizza"!

I'll keep my eye on this thread, cause I LOVE pizza!!
  • Lavash Bread (http://www.thedailyplate.com/nutriti...s/lavash-bread). It's low in calories, but chock full of nutrients. I pop it in the oven for a few minutes to crisp it up. Then load it up with diced tomatoes, pepper, onions, and a little low fat mozzarella. YUM-MMY!!
  • I use the thick tortillas whole grain
  • I like Flatout breads or Thomas Light Multi-grain English Muffins
  • Arnolds whole grain sandwich buns. They are thin, only 100 calories and a good amount of fiber. Kind of look like big english muffins. They are sliced in half - so you could get 2 pizzas out of it! Yum.
  • We made pizzas tonight with La Tortilla Factory Smart & Delicious Multigrain with Extra Virgin Olive Oil Softwraps. They are 100 cals, 3.5 g fat, 18 g carbs 12 of which are fiber, and 9 grams of protein each.

I baked them on a pizza stone at 350 for about 8 minutes. Then topped with NSA pizza sauce, RF shredded cheese, some chunked ham on mine with about 2 TB crushed pineapple, DH topped his with pepperoni, scrambled hamburger, and bacon crumbles.

Baked them for about another 8 minutes until the cheese was melted and toppings nice and hot. They were filling and tasty.

I swear by these wraps - I eat one every workday morning with 2 slices thin and trim deli meat of choice, a slice of RF swiss cheese, a couple of lines of squeeze yellow mustard, and a handful of baby spinach.
  • I use whole wheat pitas, too! They're nice and thick, and resemble a pizza crust. 10 minutes in the oven at 400 degrees, with sauce, cheese and mushrooms = peeeeerfect pizza.
  • Quote: I use whole wheat pitas, too! They're nice and thick, and resemble a pizza crust. 10 minutes in the oven at 400 degrees, with sauce, cheese and mushrooms = peeeeerfect pizza.
    I do this too. I keep mine in the freezer (only cooking for one). I take one out and put it into the oven while it's heating. By the time I'm done with sauce / fixings, it's thawed and getting crispy. If I just put it in soft with the sauce/toppings already on it, it doesn't really get crispy. I looooove crispy . Of course, tonight I actually made my sauce and forgot about the pita, and it got too done, and I had to get another one out .
  • http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Summer-...st/Detail.aspx is an interesting crust alternative. I made this w/o the cheeses and used whole wheat flour. I did have to bake this much longer than the recipe called for and it is work squeezing the zucchini liquid out, but this crust not only gives you whole wheat but veggies too. When I am not feeling as inspired I use a whole wheat pita usually.

I made this crust in this recipe once too - not bad and really high fiber since its made with fiber one and has oats http://www.hungry-girl.com/chew/chew....php?isid=1495
  • The portabella base was great!
  • Oooh, the portabella pizzas sound great... I bet that would be a hit at a party, too!
  • i use low carb pitas and top it with whatever i want...its so good!! i love pizza like crazy!!
  • Whole Wheat Pita Pizzas
    I'm just curious, you use the pittas with the pocket, right? Do you cook the whole thing, or slice it in half?

I'm getting inspired to make pizza!
  • Quote: I'm just curious, you use the pittas with the pocket, right? Do you cook the whole thing, or slice it in half?

I'm getting inspired to make pizza!
    I use the whole thing.