Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 10-05-2008, 10:30 PM   #1  
LA Weight Loss

S/C/G: 156/110/110

Height: 5'0"

Default Diet Soda

When you are on a diet do you drink diet soda? I try not to drink much of it, but somehow it makes me feel better since I'm on a diet and not eating much food. I'm a huge Sprite Zero fan! I usually feel less bloated, but it doesn't seem like I end up loose much, if any, weight if I don't drink diet pop. What do you usually do, drink diet soda or none at all? Is there really much difference?
misserica3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 10:35 PM   #2  

Height: 5'9"

I drink diet pop maybe once or twice a week at the most, and I don't find it makes a difference for me. I never really was a pop drinker anyway. On weight watchers, diet pop is 0 points.

Last edited by luvja; 10-05-2008 at 10:35 PM.
luvja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 10:38 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

I drink a ton of diet dr pepper... and I'm in the mindset that I don't feel bad about it. It really helps me with my sweet tooth.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 10:55 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Quote:
When you are on a diet do you drink diet soda? I try not to drink much of it, but somehow it makes me feel better since I'm on a diet and not eating much food.
Well, first of all, I'm not "on a diet". I eat for life. So yes, I drink diet soda. I don't drink nearly as much as I used to, but Diet Coke is one thing I won't give up. I drink probably 4 a week or so. Today I actually had 2 cans and I feel somewhat bloated ... so I probably won't have one tomorrow.

I'm somewhat concerned, however, about your comment that you're "not eating much food". That kind of dieting - where you deprive yourself of food - is not healthy and not sustainable long term. I would really encourage you to think of what you're doing NOT as "being on a diet" and more about learning to eat reasonably and healthily for the rest of your life.

Last edited by PhotoChick; 10-05-2008 at 10:56 PM.
PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 11:01 PM   #5  
LA Weight Loss

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoChick View Post
Well, first of all, I'm not "on a diet". I eat for life. So yes, I drink diet soda. I don't drink nearly as much as I used to, but Diet Coke is one thing I won't give up. I drink probably 4 a week or so. Today I actually had 2 cans and I feel somewhat bloated ... so I probably won't have one tomorrow.

I'm somewhat concerned, however, about your comment that you're "not eating much food". That kind of dieting - where you deprive yourself of food - is not healthy and not sustainable long term. I would really encourage you to think of what you're doing NOT as "being on a diet" and more about learning to eat reasonably and healthily for the rest of your life.

I didn't want to make it sound like I'm not eating much.. I'm on a plan through LA Weight Loss right now. So don't get me wrong, i am eating, just in a healthy way I'm in the process of learning the right way of eating and how to maintain a healthy weight. They say you can drink diet pop and everything.. I just don't know how much difference it has w/ weight loss, and if it really slows it down like some people say.
Old 10-05-2008, 11:09 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Ah ... gotcha. You'd be surprised at how many people here who say "I'm not eating much food" really AREN'T eating much food.

Honestly I think the pop issue varies from person to person. For some people the artificial sweeteners set of cravings, some people do have a reaction to them that makes their weight loss stall, and some people (like me) seem to not be affected at all by them.

I think you just have to figure out how they work for you. I know, like I said above, that I won't give up my Diet Coke! It's my afternoon sanity on some days - just to get away from my office and drink something cold, fizzy, and caffeinated.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 11:18 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

I try hard not to consume any artificial sweeteners at all. Once I stopped consuming them, I realized they were the cause of some problems I was having (bad PMS symptoms, headaches, etc.) So I don't drink diet soda.

I'll drink, maybe, one cane sugar sweetened soda every 3 months or so. So, I guess I'm just not much of a soda drinker anymore. I don't miss it. Now, take away my coffee and we'd have problems!
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 11:33 PM   #8  

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenor77 View Post
Now, take away my coffee and we'd have problems!

yup yup, same!. Coffee is something I refuse to give up, with REAL cream. I did give up the sugar and switched to sweetner though.. but I just can't part with the cream... oh that lovely cream. I hate milk in coffee.
luvja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 11:41 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 325/ticker/175

Height: 5'3

i count calories and loathe diet soda lol.. plus what i have read about artificial sweetners lately is a turn off... so what i do, is if i am wanting soda really bad, i work it into my cals for the day plus exercise to burn that 139 cals off as well...over what i generally burn..that way i get the 'real thing' as well as more exercise
jimaterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 04:24 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 217/tick/160

Height: 5'5

I drink a very small glass (MAYBE 6oz) of diet pepsi in the morning, a Fresca (which is "diet" even though it doesn't say it, it has 0 cals though) at lunch and sometimes another 6oz glass of diet pepsi in addition. Then at dinner I usually have one or two big glasses (16oz maybe?) of diet pepsi or diet 7up. I also drink 4 liters of water while I'm at work as well as a bunch in the morning and evening after work. I've lost weight but it was slowed way down and I firmly believe that it slowed way down because I almost totally stoped working out. I bought an exercise bike this weekend though so hopefully I can pick it back up. I don't think the soda really has anything to do with it though.

Some people disagree... to each her own.
peachcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 08:53 PM   #11  
~*Lupo di Autunno*~

S/C/G: 162/115/115

Height: 5'3"

Yes, I do - but I try to limit how much I drink. I usually have one every other day or so. I love diet Sunkist and diet 7-Up, and I like Shasta's root beer and cream sodas, which contain no aspartame.

Last edited by Wolf Goddess; 10-06-2008 at 08:53 PM.
Wolf Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 10:00 PM   #12  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

I've always drank diet pop. Used to be Diet Coke. Now it's Coke Zero. I drink anywhere from 1 or 2 a day up to 4-5 cans a day. It's never affected my weight loss in a negative way. It has prevented me from binging when I have had cravings. Fills me up and eliminates the cravings. I do think it's addictive for some people. I don't know what it is about it, whether it's the carbonation or just the taste, but I can't get the same satisfaction with other liquids. I do drink a lot of tea also.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 10:02 PM   #13  
LA Weight Loss

Thanks for your thoughts guys! I agree diet pop helps from grabbing something not so good to eat (ex- chocolate) and still feeling like I'm satisfying my sweet tooth.. Now I don't feel so bad for drinking diet pop =]
Old 10-06-2008, 10:05 PM   #14  
a.k.a. Bikini Bottom

S/C/G: see siggy!

Height: 5'10 - tall girls rule!

I don't drink anything except for water or crystal light. I did have to drink some ginger ale when I had nausea during the time of the month, but other than that I don't drink it, that or diet. Soda was one of my major problems. Although I'm 13 weeks with no soda, I think I'm still addicted to Pepsi.
SBD Sass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 10:26 PM   #15  
Keepin' on...

S/C/G: 350/208/150

Mmmmmm, I LOVE diet pop! Especially diet cherry vanilla Dr. Pepper and diet coke with lime!!!

Before I embarked on my healthier lifestyle plan, I swear that was all I would drink all day, hardly any water.

I've been seeing a nutritionist at my gym, and I am working on it. Now that I've been exercising, I have been totally into water and I feel so much better! The nutritionist has suggested that it's okay to have it, but that I should try to keep it down to no more than 2 pops a day. She also advises that I drink it with meals, preferably ones with some protein. I guess there is a theory (though not yet proven) amongst health experts that suggest that just the sweet taste of artificial sweetners triggers the insulin release that happens with actual sweets. So if you drink it along with protein, you don't have that evil spike that ends up triggering more sweets cravings to deal with the extra insulin your body is circulating.

I work night shift and don't drink coffee, so cold turkey off diet pop is probably not going to happen any time soon. I am proud to say that most days I don't even drink my 2, unless its a work night...
shannonmb is offline   Reply With Quote