Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 10-03-2008, 11:03 AM   #1  
LA Weight Loss

S/C/G: 156/110/110

Height: 5'0"

Default Veggie Burgers

Have any of u tried Veggie burgers before? If so, what brand do you suggest? I'm trying to get in a source of protein but I'm so sick of eating chicken, turkey, and tuna ALL the time!
misserica3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 11:24 AM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I have found that veggie burgers are an acquired taste. When I first had them, I hated them. Now me and them have come to an understanding...

Boca burgers (vegan) are a good source of protein at 18 grams of only 100 calories.

The soyboy Okara courage burger claims to be the best tasting and its not bad at 130 calories and 13g of protein.

I like the Health is Wealth breaded chicken-free patties, they are really good. 110 calories and 12g of protein.

There is a Trader Joe's Madras burger that is REALLY good. I don't have the details on that one.

Overall I'd say you need to experiment a bit to find out what you might like.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 12:00 PM   #3  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I also used to dislike Boca burgers. I highly recommend the Flame Grilled Boca, as opposed to the other one. I also love the Masala burger from Trader Joe's. I don't know if it has much protein, but it's BEYOND good and tastes sinful. I sometimes have 2 patties (each one has 120 calories) as a hearty snack or as part of a meal or if I need a light meal. I still soak off the oil after I nuke it. It's a bit spicy but in a very good way (I don't usually like spice), since it's Indian style.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 01:07 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Another vote for the Trader Joe's Masala Veggie Burger. They don't have much protein though, only 2grams per burger.

My other fave is Dr. Praeger's California Veggie Burger. They have 110 calories each and 5 grams of protein.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 01:08 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 263/ticker/155

I like morningstar veggie burgers. Staple in my freezer.
beachluvr79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 01:25 PM   #6  

S/C/G: obese/obese/healthy

Height: 5'7"

I like the Vegan Boca Burgers but I also recommend making your own. It's really not that much trouble and you can make a large batch at one time and freeze the leftovers. I'm in LOVE with the Black Bean burgers from Veganomicon. I found the recipe posted online here: http://www.democraticunderground.com...&mesg_id=17651
Fat Chick B Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 10:53 AM   #7  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
I have found that veggie burgers are an acquired taste. When I first had them, I hated them. Now me and them have come to an understanding...
I'm the opposite - I used to like veggie burgers, but if I never see another one again, I won't lose any sleep.

There's one brand, however, that I'd eat again, but I can't find them anymore. Perhaps Erica can find them in her area - the brand is Yves and they're sold in the produce dept. The taste and texture is very close to an actual burger, not mushy like Boca and Morningstar. Didn't like their 'chicken' patties, though, but the burgers are very good. The one that I'd probably still eat and can't find them anymore. Figures.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 10:54 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

I love Morningstar burgers, but I like them for what they are and never expected a hamburger/meat substitute.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 11:20 AM   #9  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoChick View Post
I love Morningstar burgers, but I like them for what they are and never expected a hamburger/meat substitute.

Yeah, I never expected them to be a total hamburger substitute because, let's face it, nothing is better than the real thing (for meat eaters, anyway). But I think in my case I just burned myself out on them.
Old 10-04-2008, 11:24 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 181/150/135

Gardenburger the Original seem to be the best tasting to me. I eat Boca burgers instead of hamburgers for health reasons, but they taste bland. I like the Gardenburger Originals though and I buy them at Costco so they don't cost an arm and a leg. The health foods are so expensive these days.
rileyozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 11:27 AM   #11  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

My costco carries Boca burgers so I buy them. They taste decent if you put mustard on them. I also put them in the toaster oven until they get a bit crispy.

I just never liked the taste of soy that 'tried to taste like meat'. Its an odd taste. The ones that taste good are the ones that are made with wheat gluten.

I don't eat morningstar ones because they have egg in them.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 12:48 PM   #12  
LLV

My favorite Boca (before I got sick of eating them, that is) was the Original Vegan. Pretty decent. I also liked the Grilled Vegetable.
Old 10-04-2008, 05:07 PM   #13  
Isabella

S/C/G: 180/154.5/125

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

Not all veggie burgers are equal in taste, calories, fat and protein content. I find the very best tasting v.b.'s are the ones that are high in calories and fat so I don't buy them very often. They also tend to be huge so I often only eat half if I have them. I don't like all of them of course but I'll eat any of them with onions and relish and a bit of bbq sauce. Read the nutritional information and try and buy them on sale to begin with so you won't waste as much money if you don't like them. Sometimes if you go online to the company's site you can download coupons.
retiredone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 07:12 PM   #14  
LA Weight Loss

S/C/G: 156/110/110

Height: 5'0"

Thanks for the tips you guys.. I finally went to the store today and bought Morningstar burgers.. that was the only brand they had there.

So, the verdict is in and.... I LOVE VEGGIE BURGERS! I never expected them to taste just like hamburgers. Yay!
misserica3 is offline   Reply With Quote