I'll vomit if I have another egg or tuna

You're on Page 1 of 3
Go to
  • Oh my goodness... How do you people get your protein in!?!?

I've been shooting for 100g a day, but I'm so sick of eggs, tuna, and chicken...I need something new.

On the breakfast front: I've been eating canadian bacon instead of eggs in the morning, but it isn't as healthy of a subtitute. Need something better. Something just as quick but nutritious. Is there a way of cooking eggs so I don't taste egg?

Tuna: I use to love tuna, right out of the can, no seasonings or mayo. Can't do it anymore. I dont want to add a bunch of bad stuff to my tuna, but I dont really know what else to do with it.

How do you mix it up? I've been taking two sevings of protein powder (which I just realized has 23% of my daily sodium per serving...eeek) just to get to where I'm at now - 80g of protein on a good day.
  • I'm vegan and can get 100g protein/day without eating eggs, tuna or any other animal sources.

I eat lots of veggies, beans, nuts, an occassional protein drink (hemp/hemp mix), some soy products, etc.
  • I get protein in almost every meal/snack.

Greek yogurt w/ sugar free syrup or fruit is a GREAT, protein-packed snack. I have some almost every day. I like the fat free varieties, which pack in the protein with fewer calories than most other sources.

My breakfast is a whole wheat english muffin (which actually has a decent amount of fiber, 5 g or so) with some lowfat cheese and pizza sauce, and sometimes a piece of lean deli meat on top. Stick it in the toaster oven and...english muffin pizza with at least 12 grams of protein.
  • Oh so many yummy things contain protein. I'm working to get 120+ g of protein a day and I manage to do that with 1 scoop of protein powder

Here's what I eat that helps with the protein:

Steel cut oats - 4g protein per serving
    Natural peanut butter - 8g protein per Tbsp
    Whole wheat pasta - usually 7g or 8g protein per 2oz serving
    Cheese - 6+g of protein per 1oz serving.
    broccoli - 5g protein per serving
    chicken breast - 35g protein per 6 oz grilled serving
    brown rice - 5g protein per 1 cup serving
    edamame - 10g protein per 1/2 cup serving
    black beans - 7g protein per 1/2 cup serving

Oh and my protein powder only has 55g of sodium per serving. So you should be able to find a decent powder that doesn't have so much sodium in it!

You can do it without growing gills or feathers!

• I was eating canned pink salmon until I noticed the sodium on it...

I do whey powder, chicken, protein bars sometimes, nuts, but still struggle with it myself sometimes too...
  • Here is a good list of protein sources that don't include eggs or fish
    http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/protein.htm
  • Here's what I ate yesterday for a total of 1501 calories and 114g of protein
    (yeah, some chicken and eggs, but mixed up so that there's more than just an egg or a piece of chicken)

Breakfast
    Dunkin' Donuts Coffee
    Mccann Steel Cut Oats 3g

Lunch
    Bertolli Extra Virgin Olive Oil
    Yellow Onion 2g
    Mushrooms 2g
    celery, raw 1g
    Garlic Clove
    Broccoli, Raw 3g
    Kikkoman Soy Sauce 2g
    baby carrots 1g
    Chicken Breast 20g

Afternoon Snack
    Campbell's V8 1g
    Deviled eggs (2) 14g

Dinner
    Broccoli 4g
    Sweet Potato 3g
    Bertolli Extra Virgin Olive Oil
    Grilled Chicken Breast 35g

Post-workout
    EAS 100% Whey Protein Powder 23g

• I work with someone who turned me on to adding regular yellow mustard to tuna. Not as much as you would mayo, but try a couple of teaspoons in a can of tuna. It really punches up the flavour and when there is a little onion, celery or pickle for crunch it makes a great tuna salad.
  • Quote: I'm vegan and can get 100g protein/day without eating eggs, tuna or any other animal sources.

I eat lots of veggies, beans, nuts, an occassional protein drink (hemp/hemp mix), some soy products, etc.
    Although I'm sick of some of it now.... mmm... I love my meat.
    There's not too many veggies with protein that I like. Beans are good, I'm just kinda scared of them and dont know what to do with them. Nuts are tasty, I'll usually have a handfull of almonds for "dessert".
  • Quote:
    I work with someone who turned me on to adding regular yellow mustard to tuna. Not as much as you would mayo, but try a couple of teaspoons in a can of tuna. It really punches up the flavour and when there is a little onion, celery or pickle for crunch it makes a great tuna salad.
    I use Dijon mustard and it really adds a nice zip. I add it to tuna and also to egg salad and deviled eggs.

• You don't have to be vegan to enjoy plant sources of protein. How about quinoa? amaranth? Couscous? All grains have some protein in them. Veggies with higher amounts of protein (per calories) are usually the green leafy ones but all veggies have some protein in them.
  • I have yogurt & turkey slices at breakfast plus cereal that has 4-6g in it, I get at least 15-20 at lunch, my after gym drink has protein in it. And i make sure I have good amounts of protein at dinner. I love eating lentils which are decent for protein.
    Honestly, though, eggs are the most complete protein to eat. I like making fritattas & omelettes so I can pack veggies & get a little extra protein from cheese.
  • Quote: Honestly, though, eggs are the most complete protein to eat. I like making fritattas & omelettes so I can pack veggies & get a little extra protein from cheese.
    There is no such thing as the most complete protein. A protein is either complete or it isn't. There are animal and plant sources of complete proteins and even for incomplete proteins, its easy enough to combine to ensure complete proteins.
  • Eggs contain all the amino acids that your body does not. It is the only protein source that does contain all of them-other protein sources are considered "incomplete" because they lack some of those amino acids.
  • Quote: Eggs contain all the amino acids that your body does not. It is the only protein source that does contain all of them-other protein sources are considered "incomplete" because they lack some of those amino acids.
    Where did you hear that? That is absolutely false.

All animal proteins are complete
    Some plant proteins are complete
    Most (I actually think its 100% but I can't say that for sure) plant proteins have some form of protein