Yummy Middle Eastern Style Chicken Marinade

• I whipped this up tonight using a few recipes I've found online as a general guide. This came out really well and everyone loved it ... thought I'd share.

1 cup plain, low fat yogurt (I used my homemade, but any plain yogurt would work)
    1 cup (8oz) 2% milk
    2 cloves garlic, pressed or finely diced (I used a microplane grater, actually)
    2 tbsp garam masala spice

Mix all ingredients and set aside ~1/4 cup for basting. Use the rest to marinade chicken breasts or chicken tenders (2 medium breasts, approx, or 6-ish tenders). I marinaded for 4 hours 'cause that's how long I had, but 6 hours or even overnight would be much better, IMO.

Grill chicken over indirect heat for about 12 mins (for tenders) turning twice, and basting with the leftover marinade during the last 4 mins.

This was amazingly yummy, moist chicken, that was mildly spicy, but not overwhelmingly so. I served it with couscous, grilled veggies, and some chopped dates.

Oh, and it adds an estimated 30 calories to each chicken tender (I set the recipe up as making 6 portions, and used that as a guide, since we grilled 6 2.5 oz tenders tonight). However, keep in mind that a large amount gets discarded after marinading, so in reality it probably adds about 1/2 that to each tender.

• Thanks photochick,
    this sounds yummy. I'll be giving it a whirl

BTW, microplane grater-- what's this ??
  • Microplane grater = only the most amazing grater known to man(or woman)kind.

http://www.cooking.com/products/shprodde.asp?SKU=135144

It's amazing for zesting citrus fruit, for grating nutmeg, etc.

• I'd lose some digits with this piece of equipment!! Does look good tho. Bloodletting, accidental or otherwise will increase weight loss, yes??
  • Yeah, those things are pretty sharp. I am very careful with mine. I never grate anything as small as garlic on it. PhotoChick must be very coordinated.

Thanks for the recipe, PhotoChick. I printed it out. This is just the sort of thing I like. I always have yogurt on hand, and as it happens, I have a jar of garam masala, too.