3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Food Talk And Fabulous Finds (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds-17/)
-   -   Figs (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds/147789-figs.html)

gailr42 07-30-2008 10:16 PM

Figs

A friend gave me a few fresh figs. Any suggestions for what to do with them? Besides just eat them out of hand.

BlueToBlue 07-31-2008 01:43 AM

Make Chicken with Figs, Fennel and Bacon! Yum! One of my favorite recipes. If you don't like fennel, you can sub celery.

I love figs! One of my favorite ways to eat them is to make fig and yogurt parfaits. I sweeten some plain, nonfat Greek yogurt, top it with some diced figs, and dust it with cinnamon.

Or take a 4 to 6 oz chicken breast and cut a slit in it (to make sort of a pocket). Mix 1/2 to 1 oz of goat cheese (or cream cheese, if you aren't a fan of goat cheese) with Dijon mustard, salt, and pepper and stuff that into the slit you cut in the chicken. Add a diced fig to the chicken. You could also add some bottled roasted red pepper. The broil the chicken until it is cooked through, flipping once during the cooking process.

I also love figs in salads. Here is one of my fav salads:

Goat Cheese, Fig, and Chicken Salad
2 oz spinach
a few cloves of roasted garlic, sliced
2 oz fennel roasted
1 oz red onion roasted
3 oz red pepper, roasted
1 oz goat cheese
4 oz chicken, cooked and shredded
2 oz figs

For dressing, I mix 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar with 1 tsp mushrooms. I also add sea salt and pepper to taste to the salad.

Megan1982 07-31-2008 09:36 AM

Lol, when I saw the thread title "figs" I immediately thought of the conversation Barbara & I had a few weeks ago where she mentioned the Chicken and fig recipe. I never got around to making it (though it sounds delicious!). A lot of people in my area grow figs, and they're in season right now. Someone who knows I like to can and preserve gave me a whole bunch. I made some fig jam using 1 1/2 cups sugar, 1 1/2 cups splenda for the whole batch and it turned out really well. I figured out about 25 cals/tbsp. It tastes similar to strawberry jam. I also wish I had more b/c I wanted to dry some and use them in homemade protein/fiber bars, but haven't been gifted any more.

nelie 07-31-2008 09:55 AM

Eat them!!! God I love figs.

jtammy 07-31-2008 10:01 AM

I use the strawberry fig preserves recipe from the same site Megan used. I used the No sugar added sure jell and splenda, because I try to eat lower carb. It turned out great! I love figs by themselves, but they have an extremely limited shelf life. I was gifted with two gallons earlier this summer, and had to do something with them quickly and didn't get very creative. :)

gailr42 07-31-2008 12:33 PM

Wow, what great recipes. I don't have enough to make jam, but I think I will try one of the chicken dishes. I just made an apricot/almond/goat cheese stuffed chicken breast that was really good. I love TJ's lite goat cheese!!! Eating Well had an interesting recipe for pork medalions, fig/port wine sauce, but I did't want to buy a whole bottle of port for it.

I just cut into one of the figs. It is so pretty inside and very tasty. I think maybe the only fig experience I have had is with fig newtons.

This morning I inspected the little volunteer fig tree we have in our garden. It is loaded with little fruits. I think maybe one of them is about ready to pick. These are green figs, as are the ones my friend gave me.

BlueToBlue 07-31-2008 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gailr42 (Post 2294995)
I love TJ's lite goat cheese!!!

Unfortunately, they've discontinued that product. My TJ's hasn't had it for several months. I emailed their corporate office and they said they discontinued it due to slow sales. You could try the light feta instead, or use regular goat cheese (if you were using 1/2 to 1 oz, that would only add about 20-40 calories).

gailr42 07-31-2008 08:00 PM

Well, that stinks. It seemed to me that the light goat cheese was really a wonderful product. I guess I didn't buy enough.

BlueToBlue 07-31-2008 09:15 PM

It was a fabulous product! I loved it and am so sorry it is no longer available. :mad: I used it in almost every recipe I had that called for cheese, even things like tamale pie and tacos. If they didn't sell enough, it wasn't through lack of effort on my part--I bought a ton of it. ;) I think if they had just featured it in the TJ flyer and in a couple of their tasting stations, they could have really increased sales. Oh well...