Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 07-29-2008, 08:29 AM   #1  

S/C/G: Too much/Less/Just Right!

Height: 5'4"

Default Opening Night Olympic Party

We are going to host an Opening Night Olympic Party. Hubby is going to make stirfry in his new wok. MIL is going to bring eggrolls -- maybe good on her diet, but not mine. Do you have any wonderful Chinese recipes? I'd love to make a hot and sour soup or eggdrop soup. Maybe a Chinese salad? Even a Chinese dessert other than fortune cookies. Please share your ideas.
Chelby29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 08:36 PM   #2  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

I have a fab recipe for Chinese Cabbage Salad:

Chinese Cabbage Salad
  • 14 oz light tofu
  • 1 tsp olive oil
  • 1/3 cup slivered almonds
  • 1 lb cabbage, shredded or sliced very thinly
  • 16 oz chicken, cooked and shredded
  • 12 oz snap or snow peas, diced (you can blanche them in boiling water for a few minutes if you like them cooked slightly)
  • 1 cup edamame
  • 8 tbsp sesame dressing (I use Trader Joe's Sesame-Soy Vinaigrette, which is 35 calories per 2 tbsp. Newman's Own makes a similar dressing with the same caloric content).

Slice tofu into 1/2 inch thick slices. Place slices flat between paper towels, weight with a heavy skillet and let sit for several hours. Replace paper towels two or three times, as they get soaked with water from the tofu.

Dice tofu into bite-size squares. Heat olive oil in non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add tofu and saute until just golden in color. Add almond slivers and saute until toasted (keep an eye on them, they won't take very long to toast and will go from toasted to burnt-to-a-crisp in a split second).

Mix tofu, almonds, and remaining ingredients and serve.

I normally eat this as a main dish and it makes four really generous servings when eaten that way. If you eat it as a side dish, I'd guess that you'd get 12 to 16 servings out of it. The calories would come in at 125 for 12 servings and 95 for 16 servings.

If you don't like tofu or don't want to deal with it, you can just leave it out (in which case, you also won't need the olive oil--just toast the almonds with a little cooking spray). Without the tofu, the calories would be 110 for 12 servings and 80 for 16 servings.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 08:40 PM   #3  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

Also, here is a recipe for pork pot stickers from Cooking Light that I've made before and it came out great. They are pretty low calories, especially compared to, say, traditional egg rolls. And since you can buy the gyoza wrappers already made, they are pretty easy to put together.

If search for pot stickers on CookingLight.com, they have a few other recipes with different fillings, but I haven't tried any other than the pork ones.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote