Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 06-20-2008, 01:07 PM   #1  
Starting over =]

S/C/G: 225/185/150

Height: 5 ft 4 in

Default To all coffee lovers

I LOVE my cup of coffee!!!!

I just need some ideas on how to cut calories w/o sparing taste. I dont use sugar, sometimes a substitute, but most of the time its my hazelnut cream and i love that thing! unfortunately 1 tbsp has about 30 calories w/o much nutrition and 1 tbsp is never enough for me, i need about 4 at least.

i'm gonna try evaporated milk but its not the same....

any suggestions?

who feels the same way?
happyveggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 01:09 PM   #2  
Just keep breathing!

S/C/G: 191.7/191.7/145

Height: 5'5

I don't know what will fix it, but I definitely feel the same way!!!

I just plan everything else in my diet around my morning sweet treat I can't happily imagine life without it!
GradPhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 01:51 PM   #3  
Chuggin' along...

have you tried torani or da vinci sugar free flavored syrups? they come in hazelnut, and are very low-cal. Perhaps a shot of this combined with a small amount (a Tbsp. or two) of whole or 2% milk could give you the flavor, and creamy feel you like. I've seen them at Walmart in the coffee section and various specialty gourmet stores, if you check their websites you can find other vendors that sell them.

International Delight and Coffeemate make various lowfat/sugar free flavors.

Perhaps you could wean yourself to a smaller amount of your hazelnut creamer that you like. Measure what you're putting in - if it's truly 4 Tbsp, cut it back to 3. When you get used to the taste, cut back to 2. I used to put 2 packets of the blue sweetener - equivalent to 4 tsp sugar - in my coffee. Now I use 1/2-1 packet, and can't imagine how I used to like it so sweet.

Good luck - I know how important it is to have a GOOD cup of coffee in the morning! Bad coffee has literally been known to ruin my day.
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 02:21 PM   #4  
busty nerd

S/C/G: 210/206/133

Height: 5'5"

you could just start drinking it without sweetener, you'll get used to it pretty fast.
froggie83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 02:32 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Can't remember the brand, but I have used hazelnut coffee before (whole bean) - not the same as adding hazelnut cream, but might help. Hmm, may have to get that again, I love hazelnut.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 02:46 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 195/161/144

Height: 5'9"

I love the flavored creams too, and I can't imagine life without them. I am down, however to 2 cups of coffee per day, instead of one whole pot, so I do comsume way less creamer than I used to. I've tried the sugar free syrups, and they're nice, but not the same. The only thing that kind of works is to go half and half flavored creamer and 2% chocolate milk, but that doesn't cut very many calories.
I just figure creamer into my daily WW points.
Kofarq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 03:08 PM   #7  
Booty-Tron

S/C/G: 165/131/130

Height: 5'4"

I am actually a barista, so I can help!

The Monin Syrup company makes a sugar free, calorie free hazelnut syrup that is really good. A bottle will run you about $12.95 (on the Monin website or at my coffee shop) and will last a realllllly long time. We use four pumps for a latte, so you should probably start with one pump and then add more to taste. I don't know if Torani is calorie free, but Sugar Free Monin definitely is!
painted lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 04:10 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

Painted lady - Are you suffering from the floods??

I drink mine with soy creamer from Trader Joe's - it's quite sweet on its own, but sometimes I do add some sweetner - either a sugar free syrup, splenda, or stevia (depending whether I'm on or off artificial sweetners!)
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 06:19 PM   #9  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

If you want the flavor with no sweetener - you must try these:
http://capellaflavordrops.com/index.asp

There is no sweetener in them (artificial or natural) and you only use a few drops per cup of coffee. Then just use milk in the coffee and you have a nice flavored cup.
You can also use these in anything, like yogurt or smoothies.
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 07:43 PM   #10  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

I love my coffee with fat free half and half and sugar free Torani syrup. They have tons of different calorie-free flavors, including Hazelnut. You can get them for about $7 a bottle from syrup2u.com. I buy a case (12 bottles and you can choose 12 different flavors if you want) and the cost, with shipping, comes in at only $6 a bottle. They also sell the sugar free Monin syrups for around $9 a bottle (without shipping, if you buy just a single bottle--it would be cheaper if you bought a case).

The fat free half and half has only 10 calories per tablespoon and it tastes exactly like regular half and half to me.

Feb 2009 Update: I'm sorry to report that I can no longer recommend syrup2u for Torani sugar-free syrups. They never shipped my last order to me, despite charging my credit card for it. Worse, all inquiries I've made to the company have gone unanswered. I'm currently disputing the charge and have filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. Given their lack of customer service, I wouldn't recommend that anyone else order from them.

Last edited by BlueToBlue; 02-15-2009 at 05:42 PM.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 08:59 PM   #11  

S/C/G: HW:200+/LW:120/CW:142

Height: 5'1 and a 1/2" (yes the 1/2" matters!)

Another suggestion would be to go to a local coffee shop and do some tastings - ask the baristas for help in looking for a coffee that you can drink black. I love black coffee now - got used to it after I decided I was too lazy to have to doctor my cup every time! There's probably a coffee blend out there that you can get used to black, and then you never have to worry about cream or sugar or flavorings again.
JenMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 09:28 PM   #12  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueToBlue View Post
I love my coffee with fat free half and half and sugar free Torani syrup. They have tons of different calorie-free flavors, including Hazelnut. You can get them for about $7 a bottle from syrup2u.com. I buy a case (12 bottles and you can choose 12 different flavors if you want) and the cost, with shipping, comes in at only $6 a bottle. They also sell the sugar free Monin syrups for around $9 a bottle (without shipping, if you buy just a single bottle--it would be cheaper if you bought a case).

The fat free half and half has only 10 calories per tablespoon and it tastes exactly like regular half and half to me.
I do the same - here in Northern California the bottles of Toriani run about $5 a bottle, Smart and Final has them as well as many grocery stores in the coffee section.
chick_in_the_hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 10:54 AM   #13  
Starting over =]

S/C/G: 225/185/150

Height: 5 ft 4 in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kofarq View Post
I love the flavored creams too, and I can't imagine life without them. I am down, however to 2 cups of coffee per day, instead of one whole pot, so I do comsume way less creamer than I used to. I've tried the sugar free syrups, and they're nice, but not the same. The only thing that kind of works is to go half and half flavored creamer and 2% chocolate milk, but that doesn't cut very many calories.
I just figure creamer into my daily WW points.

thanks!! the chocolate milk sounds like a good idea!
happyveggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 06:40 PM   #14  
Booty-Tron

S/C/G: 165/131/130

my house is okay because i live on a hill, but the rest of my town (Iowa City) is pretty messed up. Thanks for asking, though!

The company Steep n Brew makes a coffee called Icing on the Cake that is fantastic. It's cinnamony, vanilla-y, and really really delicious. I don't put anything in it because it's so good! They also make a good hazelnut! you can buy it online (just Google the name) or at my coffee shop, if you feel like driving out to Iowa City!
painted lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 07:30 PM   #15  
on a mission

Splenda is now also making packets of sweetener flavored with hazelnut or french vanilla and they taste great!
Salubrious Fervor is offline   Reply With Quote