My new favorite ice cream

• I stumbled upon this idea on the first day of TOM when I was craving chocolate and ice cream. I recently chose to go vegan for a while, though, and also to give up all sugars except agave. This really hit the spot, though, and has become my new favorite craving buster -- for under 200 calories:

1 c. frozen cherries (I get them at Trader Joe's)
    1 T. unsweetened powdered cocoa
    3/4 T. agave

I blend it in a small food processor and eat frozen. It's my personal diet version of Cherry Garcia!
  • Mmmm! that's about 160 calories and well worth it.

The frozen mango chunks work well like that too.

It is cool that you've gone vegan. There are so may of us now! I was the only one for a while and now I am in good company.
  • You know -- it's not that hard. I thought it would be because DD cannot have gluten so we don't eat it either -- so I was wondering what we would eat (as so many substitutes are made of wheat). We just don't eat the substitutes and instead rely heavily on whole foods. I do a lot with beans, but also with fun grains -- like millet, teff, buckwheat, etc. I am not making the kids follow this, but since I am the chief cook they get what I make -- though they also have the option of adding cheese,etc. So far no one has complained.

I was a vegan in grad school and felt so healthy and alive -- but I also relied heavily on wheat products and substitutes.

Another fun tip: add avocado to dark berries with a splash of almond milk, puree and freeze in Popsicle molds. The kids LOVE them, can't taste the avocado, and get such a good source of healthy fat.